Fw 190 F-8 - what is this?

15 hours ago, Steve Eagle said:

In light of the winter setting, I have always thought this is snow or slush thrown up by the mainwheels.  I had looked for info. about whether there was any equipment mounted over the years .  The only thing I could postulate was some sort of frozen material .

in many places that I asked unfortunately nobody knows what it is

your hypothesis is the most likely

thanks for your helping

I´ve never noticed this bright object on this F-8 Würger.

I checked my "library" and found a note on page 542 on "Fw 190 vol two" from J. Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek:

This could have been an (experimental) camera pod, which was mounted outside the main landing gear leg.

I never heard of such pods and this note is the only one I found so far.

To me it is the most likely explanation of this thing as there are no bomb racks mounted on the wings (ice and/or frozen snow prior to take off when a mechanic did accompany the a/c makes no sense to me as the rest of the Würger shows no snow adhering).

Why not using a camera pod on low level bombing raids to get more informations on advancing enemy troops?

I will later post some pics.

Reimund

1 hour ago, Isar 30/07 said:

I´ve never noticed this bright object on this F-8 Würger.

I checked my "library" and found a note on page 542 on "Fw 190 vol two" from J. Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek:

This could have been an (experimental) camera pod, which was mounted outside the main landing gear leg.

I never heard of such pods and this note is the only one I found so far.

To me it is the most likely explanation of this thing as there are no bomb racks mounted on the wings (ice and/or frozen snow prior to take off when a mechanic did accompany the a/c makes no sense to me as the rest of the Würger shows no snow adhering).

Why not using a camera pod on low level bombing raids to get more informations on advancing enemy troops?

I will later post some pics.

Reimund

the shape resembles a camera

thanks

Edited by marcio bernardi

Sorry, no photos from my reference due to copyright regulations, but have a look here:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/behalter.htm

Different shape(s) and slightly different mounted comparing to Marcios photo, but maybe there were some more fairings built. 

Reimund

This cannot be ice for four reasons:

1. The shape is far too regular. 

2. You should have the same ice on the other side. 

3. Mechanics and pilots would never leave that on a plane before take-off. 

4. An enlargement of the picture shows what looks like fixings between that item and the wing. 

I agree regarding the camera pod probability. This was immediately what I thought. 

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Use of copyrighted photos to illustrate something like the question in this thread is fair use.  There's no reason not to use them.

Absolutely. Folks here on LSP (including myself), as well as dozens of other sites, have done it for years without any issues cropping up as a result.

Lots of pix out there of G-8s with three hard points -- one on the centerline for a BFB and one outboard of each gear that is ensconced in a whopping big fairing and often sports a drop tank.   There is a BFB on the centerline rack of the a/c in question; irrelevant, just sayin'.  The gizmo in question looks to me like a damaged whopping big fairing outboard of the main gear (See above) torn in half longways with the bottom part hanging by a thread, as it were.  Could be battle damage, could have been damaged by ground equipment, or maybe the guy taxied into something and banged it up.  We don't know why, but sure as the world it is damaged/crushed/ripped/torn sheet metal that is no longer streamlined and it sure ain't no Leica.  And don't tell me you can't see it once you really look at the photo.

Hmmm.  I'm considering the unimaginable possibility that I might be wrong.  Could very well be a camera pod that is configured a little differently than the ones in the photos above and not a wrecked pylon fairing after all.  Okay.  You win.