7 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Ernest,

EXCELLENT looking model.

:wub:

You turned out a beautiful  looking Hurricane  and I xannit fault the pilot figure.

Its EXQUISITE. Flawlessly  painted!

:wow:

:bow:

Thank you Maru.  My work on the Hurricane is far from perfect, and there are numerous blemishes.  Fortunately they are all small ones that only show up at close viewing range or from certain angles; though I shudder to think what the macro lens is going to expose.  The pilot turned out pretty nice, and I managed to get the "look" I was after.

Ernest

On 10/19/2020 at 9:42 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely work, Ernest! Looks great.

Kev

Thank you Kev.  I am about 80% done with the weathering and installing some minor bits and bobs.  I should have some photo worthy stuff to post later today or tomorrow.  This has been a much more challenging build then the Cyber Hobby 109 to say the least.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:54 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent work on that pilot figure, Ernest! The Hurricane looks great, too.

Kev

Thanks again Kev!  The pilot turned out well.  Black Dog figures are a bit of a mixed experience as sometimes the casting is excellent and other times not so much.  The casting on this figure was solid and with that as a starting point I can turn out a decent product.

Ernest

The Hurricane has been dull coated and I am about 85% finished with the weathering.  I have also added most of the cleat parts.  I am trying for a somewhat worn look without making the plane look ready for the boneyard.  I highlighted some of the panel lines and then airbrushed an acrylic fading medium onto the horizontal surfaces in a random manner to give them a uneven faded look.  Underneath I added a fair amount of oil, soot and other types of fluid stains to the center part of the fuselage as a lot of photos show this area as pretty grungy on many operational aircraft.  I still need to add some chipping and wear to the areas that had a lot of foot traffic/maintenance/loading work.  I also need to look at adding some exhaust staining, which I plan to keep light as the photos I looked at don't show heavy, or even moderate, staining in the vast majority of the aircraft I looked at. 

Ernest

IMG_2408

IMG_2409

IMG_2416

IMG_2421

Enjoying see your progress Ernest, I’m sure you’ll have a very fine Hurricane when it’s finished. I particularly like your exhausted pilot, you’ve captured his expression very well. My only reservation is the flying boot colour of brown, standard issue was black. Perhaps he was an aristocrat and could afford a hand made pair from Loakes! 

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Enjoying see your progress Ernest, I’m sure you’ll have a very fine Hurricane when it’s finished. I particularly like your exhausted pilot, you’ve captured his expression very well. My only reservation is the flying boot colour of brown, standard issue was black. Perhaps he was an aristocrat and could afford a hand made pair from Loakes! 

Hi Max thank you for the kind words.  And a big thank you for the heads up on the boot color (note the colonial spelling of the word "color" :lol:).  I can easily change the color and will do so.  I tripped myself up there by looking at the pilot of a build I did a few years ago replicating a No. 601 Squadron Spitfire.  Those guys definitely could have afforded fancy non-standard boots, whereas No. 257 Squadron pilots probably did have that much disposable income.  That is what I get for being lazy when it comes to research!  :whistle:

Ernest

Edited by Greif8
Grammer

21 hours ago, Greif8 said:

I hope this build is making making eating that popcorn worthwhile Mike! :lol:

Love popcorn ... as long as there's something to drink with it.

a9cwEZQ.png?1

Edited by MikeMaben

This build is a wrap.  Overall it is presentable, but it is definitely not one of my better builds.  It does look the part though.  I took some quick photos to post the build right now, but I will setup my photography stuff tomorrow and take some better pictures.  I placed the Hurricane on a spare base as the base I am making for this build is probably 4-5 days from completion, though it is very similar to this base.  

Being a short run kit, this build had its challenges.  I managed to overcome the majority of those, but did not manage to perfectly tackle every one of them.  In the end though, I am satisfied with the Hurricane and think I got the look I was after; that being an aircraft that shows the wear of continuous operations sometime in late August/early September 1940 without it being ready for the boneyard.  The pilot also looks worn and tired, which I think is accurate for that time frame.    

As I said at the beginning of the thread, I wanted this build to be a bit of a counter point to the 109 build I posted earlier; i.e. completing the "prep for; return from sortie" story part of it being told by each build.  This group build was a fun journey and the first time I have finished two builds in one.  Again, I'll post some better photos in the next couple of days.

Ernest

IMG_2423

IMG_2424

IMG_2428

IMG_2431

IMG_2433

IMG_2438

IMG_2427