JV44 Information

I've been reading up on JV44 aircraft as i'm planning a build of them. All i can find for the Fw190 D9 is information on "Red 1" and "Red 13" and for the D11 "Red 4". But according to Fw190 Vol.3 by Richard Smith and Eddie Creek, there were five D9s for the four pilots (Sachsenberg, Wubke, Faber and Hofmann).

Is there any information regarding the other "missing" Fw190s?

The "fourth" aircraft is "Red 3"

Jerry Crandall has it covered in his books "Doras of the Galland Circus" and "Focke Wulf FW 190 Dora Vol 2". This was also included in the Eagle Editions decal sheet: http://www.eagle-editions.com/eaglecals-14-32-fw-190-doras-jv-44.html

HTH ]

Radu 

Edited by Radub

The five known aircraft of the JV 44 Sachsenberg Schwarm are:

·         Fw 190 D-9 "Red 1", WNr.600424,. Flown by Leutnant Heinz Sachsenberg: "Verkaaft's mei Gwand, I foahr in himmel!". Found at München-Riem.

·         Fw 190 D-9 "Red 13", WNr.210240. Flown by Oberleutnant Klaus Faber: "Rein Muss er, und wenn wir beide weinen!". Found at Ainring.

·         Fw 190 D-11 “Red 2”, WNr.220013. Pilot unknown. Photos confim no inscription (reserve aircraft?). Previously coded “White <??” with Verband Flugzeugführerschule General der Jagdflieger (VFS-GdJ) at Bad Worishofen. Found at Bad Aibling.

·         Fw 190 D-9 "Red 3", WNr.600565. Flown by Hauptmann Waldemar Wübke "Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn". Found at Ainring.

·         Fw 190 D-11 "Red 4", WNr.220010. Possibly flown by Leutnant Karl-Heinz Hofmann: "Der nachste Herr die selbe Dame!". Previously coded “White <58” with Verband Flugzeugführerschule General der Jagdflieger (VFS-GdJ) at Bad Worishofen. Found at München-Riem.

With respect to “Red 2”, there are only partial views of this aircraft but it is confirmed to be a D-11. There have been rumours that it had the slogan "Elephants Work the Landing Zone", or, "In with Sack and Flute".  Howver, a recently published photograph confirms that it did not have an inscription painted under its canopy though it does have the JV 44 crest. 

Cheers,

David

Edited by David E Brown
Grammar. Updated information.

Alan, 

I agree that there are no ‘proper’ images on the aircraft that exist for the other four. The photos of “Red 2” as discovered on EBay photo offerings are distant, fragmentary and/or poor quality. Some of the Luftwaffe discussion boards have this information. But enough information is available to create a reasonable representation of the machine, though it’s inscription and Werknummer remain unknown.

David

Cheers again David. I'm going to do "Red 2" anyway. I like the idea of having all the Fw190s there. I suppose with no definitive pictures a bit of poetic licence is allowed :)

Indeed. “Red 4” and “Red 2”, being members of a very small group of D-11 aircraft, would have nearly identical camouflage and national markings. It is just the inscription and Werknummer we do not know.

Again, some searching on Luftwaffe discussion boards will turn up the information you need. 

David