Early Spitfire wing heating outlets?

Hi, 

Does anyone have a picture showing how looked like such outlets opened in each lower wing close to the tip? I'm wondering as I just have pictures of the covers. Moreover, there was also some reason justifying why one cover was noticeably larger than the other...? :help:

TIA

Thierry 

Had a quick look in my "Edgar Archive" and found this.

They're not scoops; they're the exits for the hot air, which was taken from the two tubes passing through the exhausts, then fed through the wing, round the cannon/Brownings, and out of the "scoops." If you look at the fuselage, just behind the exhausts, there are two raised strips; these are supposed to be the hot air feeds, which ran inside the cowling, then down into the wings. They were, in fact, tubes with an elbow bend in them. The two "lumps," sticking out of the front of the exhausts, should be hollow tubes.
Edgar

The hot air exhausts were deleted, as mod 710, from 26-1-43. They were an early fitting; it's possible to see them on K5054, the prototype, on the cover of a recent book "Schneider Trophy to Spitfire," about R.J.Mitchell. I suspect (can't be absolutely certain, of course) that the different size, in the extractor fairing, had something to due with the radiator and oil cooler dissimilarity in size, and heat generated. It's also possible that the extra size of the cannon bay needed extra heating, so that's why the exhausts were eliminated.
Edgar

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

I also copied Edgar notes but alas it looks all the notes and discussions were linked to the presence or absence of the heating system on this or that mark and at this or that period. I have not seen anywhere a discussion or picture about how the holes/slots look like. Moreover, when you look at wartime pictures, you can see that the larger cover shape is showing some variations. So, I guess that some planes were retrofitted and this would explain why some workshops produced slightly different parts. Similarly, it is not mentioned anywhere! And last, I've never seen the system end areas described in any TM. This does not help either!

As I wrote, without putting the nose under one of those covers on a preserved plane, I do not think there is a way to know.

Thierry

Hi again Thierry, If you google 'Spitfire Mk1A gunbay detail' Britmodeller there is a number of posts there that will answer your question. The best answer for the different sizes of the 'vents' seems to be because of the different lengths of the ducting coming from the back of the radiator. The shorter length of ducting has the small vent on the underside of the starboard wing and vice versa. One of the vents shows up on one of the links with women fitting brownings to the underside of the black painted port wing (the larger vent). You can just make out the vent which has been bashed about a bit, source of damage unknown. HTH

TRF 

Thanks but this is precisely what I did yesterday. Alas, I did not find anything related to the outlet shape (oblong or round?) and where they were located under the covers (right in the middle of the length or closer to the end?)...!

In small scale you do not care. In large scale this is becoming to be visible. So, I would like getting that right if possible.

Yes that was what I was looking for, I thought that there might have been some shots in the restoration of the wings showing what was underneath the "extractor cones" as I have seen them described, either a tube or just a hole. Frustratingly the diagrams show the heating tubes in detail but no detail of the hot air outlet on the outermost gun.

Cheers

Dennis