Convert Tamiya 1/32 IXc to IXe

Riku

Riku,

From my limited knowledge, the e wing had the 20 mm cannon outboard of the 12.7 mm MG. Sprue LL in the XVIe kit has the appropriate wing cover panels. I believe the upper and lower wings are the same in both kits. Some of the IXe  models would have had the Packard produced Merlin 266 with differences in superchargers and intercoolers-not a big deal if you leave the engine panels on. Those sprues are E and H in the XVIe kit.

v/r

Rob

Edited by rjones726

44 minutes ago, Riku said:

Thank you.  I had not even considered that the engines might be different.  Is there a quick way to tell which engine an IXe had?

I believe to avoid confusion those MK IX Spitfires equipped with the Packard engine were designated MK XVI. In Feb '45 the bubble canopy was introduced and could be found on both MK IX and MK XVI. As far as tying a specific airframe to an engine type, I really don't know. There may be records that provide that info. Maybe some one with that knowledge will chime in.

v/r,

Rob

Edited by rjones726
sp

1 minute ago, rjones726 said:

I believe to avoid confusion those MK IX Spitfires equipped with the Packard engine were designated MK XVI. In Feb '45 the bubble canopy was introduced and could be found on both MK IX and MK XVI. As far as tying a specific airframe to an engine type, I really don't know. There may be records that provide that info. Maybe some one with that knowledge will chiefdoms in.

v/r,

Rob

Ahh, thank you for the info!  Probably having a specific plane in mind to build would help, but I do not at the moment.

The H sprue with the engine is the same in all of the kits.  The E sprue in the XVIe kit is mainly the supercharger housing.  To be honest, I would not worry about it.  Just get the LL sprue to convert the C wing to the E wing.  That’s what I did.

Edited by Dave Williams

9 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

There were no Spitfire IX's with bubble canopies, the Packard cowl is slightly different, but only applicable to the Mk.XVI. I'd start by deciding the specific machine you wish to model and google the serial number.

I believe there were a few. They were in service with the SAAF postwar. 

13 minutes ago, rjones726 said:

I believe there were a few. They were in service with the SAAF postwar. 

Yes, according to the Morgan and Shacklady book on the Spitfire, the serial numbers for (some at least of) the low back fuselages are for Mk.IXs.  Strangely, they were fitted with the high altitude rated Merlin, yet they wer given clipped wings...  The Mk was relating to the engine, not the shape of the fuselage.  Mk.XVIs could be either high-back or low-back.  The high-back was by far the most common with the Mk. IX.  Apparently, in an effort to standardise on parts, the Mk. IX were fitted with bulged cowlings (in profile) that were used with the  Mk. XVI. 

All you need is the sprue to convert the C-wing to an E-wing.

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

This may be another solution:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA32003?result-token=PN4GV

Hth

Thierry 

I recently used that set on my JE-J Jr build but subbed in Master barrels instead of the resin ones.  It's pretty much a resin copy of the parts on the LL sprue. 

IMG_20181119_113426-L.jpg

IMG_20200413_190842-L.jpg

Carl