New HKM 1/32 model coming soon...

kkarlsen

2 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Matchbox Venom “viable”?  The kit’s vital signs have been almost flat lined for years.

Rick

HI Rick, although a more up to date kit would be wonderful, this build below here on LSP from the late, great Phil 'Bondo' Brandt says it is viable. 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=275

Or this one on Britmodeller also shows a decent result can be achieved.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932029-older-build-of-matchbox-132-sea-venom/

To me that is a viable kit if one wants to build a Venom. 

If one wants to build a Vampire there appears to be the Tigger models vacform.  Horses for courses I guess. 

Kind regards,

Paul

7 hours ago, Archimedes said:

HI Rick, although a more up to date kit would be wonderful, this build below here on LSP from the late, great Phil 'Bondo' Brandt says it is viable. 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=275

Or this one on Britmodeller also shows a decent result can be achieved.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932029-older-build-of-matchbox-132-sea-venom/

To me that is a viable kit if one wants to build a Venom. 

If one wants to build a Vampire there appears to be the Tigger models vacform.  Horses for courses I guess. 

Kind regards,

Paul

Is that kit still around??  I haven't seen it anywhere in ages.  And this is a pity, since the one I built 30 years ago and had suspended from my ceiling recently did a crash dive so now I don't have one. 

You're quite right though, regarding the viability of a model.  Some of these older kits are still enjoyable to build up, especially if you can add some extra details.  I did this a few years ago with the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, which turned out very well.

I like that Britmodeller build, especially the added engine detail.

Cheers,

Michael

18 hours ago, Royboy said:

I sense more than a little phrustration with the absence of said F-4K kit!

Patience Grasshopper!!!  :) 

You sense correctly Master Po. And the clock ticketh on. Unfortunately I am not as young as David Carradine was in 1975, when Kung Fu ended. 

Got a MiG-21 and two A-7Es near the modelling table which ought to progress a bit further this Summer-Autumn. My gawd those SLUFs are an abortion without the Zacto correction sets (which are to hand, thank goodness), but we sure could use an accurate OOB LTV A-7 series.

Tony 

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

You're quite right though, regarding the viability of a model.  Some of these older kits are still enjoyable to build up, especially if you can add some extra details.  I did this a few years ago with the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, which turned out very well.

I think some of these older kits are not only enjoyable, but preferable to a lot of newer kits from a certain point of view. I just seem to have so much more fun building a Matchbox, Monogram or Airfix kit because their limitations are so evident and I don't have to worry about all the many ways that they are inaccurate. The Airfix 1/24 Stuka was awesome fun. I also had a great time building the 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer perhaps because I had heard it was "unbuildable." I think I'm probably too nostalgic. :D

2 hours ago, Grant_T said:

I think some of these older kits are not only enjoyable, but preferable to a lot of newer kits from a certain point of view. I just seem to have so much more fun building a Matchbox, Monogram or Airfix kit because their limitations are so evident and I don't have to worry about all the many ways that they are inaccurate. The Airfix 1/24 Stuka was awesome fun. I also had a great time building the 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer perhaps because I had heard it was "unbuildable." I think I'm probably too nostalgic. :D

It does make me smile when someone says 'This kit is unbuildable!'. As a certain modeller on another site says "No kit is unbuildable but there may be some kits one would not consider building". Right now I am building the Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth as G-AIVW in its floatplane configuration. I am correcting some of its inaccuracies and leaving other be but most of all I am having great fun with it. 

7 hours ago, Tony T said:

You sense correctly Master Po. And the clock ticketh on. Unfortunately I am not as young as David Carradine was in 1975, when Kung Fu ended. 

Got a MiG-21 and two A-7Es near the modelling table which ought to progress a bit further this Summer-Autumn. My gawd those SLUFs are an abortion without the Zacto correction sets (which are to hand, thank goodness), but we sure could use an accurate OOB LTV A-7 series.

Tony 

One is pleased that Grasshopper has plenty to entertain himself while waiting.

The great book says that all life surrounds the universe and sees all.

I therefore believe that said model will arrive one day to satisfy your desires as it is truly written by the great Gods of Plastic . :rolleyes: 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, Gazzas said:

Sorry mate, I must disagree on the quality of the Trumpeter kit.  Many wrong shapes, and the biggest crime are the  rivets.  Many around the fuselage are ovid in shape, because they came from a direction not perpendicular to the fuselage skin.  My Trumpeter kit was relegated to the spares box. 

Their P-40B has the same problem.  I'll never by Trumpeter again.

Why not?  All companies have poor kits.   Trumpeter at least have their Dauntless, Avenger, 262, MIG3, and Swordfish, don’t miss out on these ‘A’ team kits because you experienced one developed by their ‘ B’ team. 

Edited by BarryWilliams