New HKM 1/32 model coming soon...

kkarlsen

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

About a dozen.  I gather you don’t care for “Noxie” (I assume you didn’t want to say Nazi for some reason) aircraft, but you were the one who brought up the Pfeil kits.  Adios.

It wasn't a personal attack Dave, nor was it referring to the thread; it was questioning the manufacturer's choice.

The reference to the Pfeils was a joke: 4 x Pfeile & no Beau = four arrows and no bow.  Voilà. 

Tony 

It is interesting to see the range of  responses to this announcement. We have views that all 4 engined heavies are too big in this scale (too big for who?) and others that appear to model nothing but multi engined aircraft, we have views that HKM producing German aircraft of certain types is adulation of the Nazi regime and others who are disappointed that HKM have only produced part of a Lancaster in this case.  There appears to be very little that indicates anyone is happy.  I’m glad Neil and his team just keep going and contributing their part to what is the golden age of large scale models in terms of kit releases the like of which most of us never thought we would see in our lifetimes.

I think we all agree that we love large scale models and that is why we all come to this site. Some like single engined fighters, some heavies, some like Luftwaffe birds (due to their technical innovation and rarity?) and others wouldn’t touch them. That is all fine.  We will never get every aircraft we individually want in our ideal (individually chosen) scales. The alternative, in the absence of manufacturers like HKM, is for us to individually develop the skills that John Alcorn, George Lee, Peter Cooke et al displayed years ago to get the aircraft they wanted to model. 

When I read chapter 8 of ‘The Master Scratchbuilders’ where Peter Cooke describes how he built his large scale Lancaster I looked over the top of the book at my HKM Lancaster box top and was grateful that HKM had enabled me not to have to start from scratch because having a Lancaster is important to me in my model collection and I flat out don’t have the skills to scratchbuild one.  

Kind regards

Paul

36 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

It is interesting to see the range of  responses to this announcement. We have views that all 4 engined heavies are too big in this scale (too big for who?) and others that appear to model nothing but multi engined aircraft, we have views that HKM producing German aircraft of certain types is adulation of the Nazi regime and others who are disappointed that HKM have only produced part of a Lancaster in this case.  There appears to be very little that indicates anyone is happy.  I’m glad Neil and his team just keep going and contributing their part to what is the golden age of large scale models in terms of kit releases the like of which most of us never thought we would see in our lifetimes

Kind regards

Paul

Too big for me, I don’t want to speak for others.  1. Storage, don’t have enough space for one in box, 2 display don’t have a place to put if I build it.  3, take way to long to build.  A single engine LSP for me is typically a three month project.  A 4 engine bomber would sit on my bench for close to two years by the time i did the motors and interior, then weathered the exterior. 4. I have to find someone else that wants it, see item 2, and will pay at least $2,000.00 see item 3.  

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Why so snarky? Have you seen the size of RC jets? Those have got to go somewhere, and cost thousands of dollars as well.

I was going to bring that up myself. My father used to fly quarter scale (ACTUAL 1/4th scale) R/C and invariably the wingspan on those ships was in excess of 60".  Usually if the subject was a larger plane, some had 80" - 150" spans.  Granted some of those broke down for disassembly and transport, but generally at home, he always hung them in the basement from the ceiling. 

Lots and LOTS of R/C guys faced and still face that dilemma, but manage because they find a way if they want them bad enough. 

30 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I was going to bring that up myself. My father used to fly quarter scale (ACTUAL 1/4th scale) R/C and invariably the wingspan on those ships was in excess of 60".  Usually if the subject was a larger plane, some had 80" - 150" spans.  Granted some of those broke down for disassembly and transport, but generally at home, he always hung them in the basement from the ceiling. 

Lots and LOTS of R/C guys faced and still face that dilemma, but manage because they find a way if they want them bad enough. 

Agreed on those who do RC's space considerations Brian. There is a range of space/funds/skills represented here which is entirely expected though.  If one lives in the UK it is unlikely that a home has a basement. If living in Japan then storage of any kind is at a premium. 

42 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

Too big for me, I don’t want to speak for others.  1. Storage, don’t have enough space for one in box, 2 display don’t have a place to put if I build it.  3, take way to long to build.  A single engine LSP for me is typically a three month project.  A 4 engine bomber would sit on my bench for close to two years by the time i did the motors and interior, then weathered the exterior. 4. I have to find someone else that wants it, see item 2, and will pay at least $2,000.00 see item 3.  

Understood that the HKM model is too big and costly for you CBK57 and that is perfectly valid.  For me I drew the line at the HpH C-47 which is way more than I would ever be willing to pay for a model.  I also appreciate you may not want to spend two years on a build of one kit.  I tend to look on build time as a value for money experience - if I spend a long time on a kit then I probably got my money's worth. You mileage may vary of course. I am always in awe at the builders over at Modelshipwrights.com who sometimes take 5-10 years on one ship:o

There is nothing wrong with building in any scale (jewel-like 1/72 kits are wonderful to see built after all!) but this site is, after all, called 'Large Scale Planes' so I don't understand why there is a vocalisation of opposition to B-17's and Lancasters being produced in 1/32. I'm sure those who don't like them or don't have space won't buy them and those that do will. 

Kind regards,

Paul

I am sorry to hear that some interpret this thread with the conclusion that "no one is happy". That is most likely wrong, and definitely wrong in my case and probably HKM's case.

I was not going to build a Lancaster in 1/32 scale. I understand the fascination with the plane, but I never felt that. It is very large in 1/32 scale and I already have quite a few larger models. I haven't finished a B-17 and B-25 that I have on the shelf because I don't really have the space to put several of them (and many other kits in the stash). However, I have to admit that the Lancaster looks really fine. I could build a front section with Airscale's instrument panel, some Master gun barrels and maybe some Eduard interior components plus an alternative nose art decal and there you have it... I am happy, HKM is happy and quite a few other companies are happy and continue to gain revenue to pay people to make more good things.

Maybe my wife and my wallet aren't so happy, but on the other hand, the nose section fits in the display cabinet, so maybe she is happy I didn't make a giant model to hang from the ceiling. Maybe HKM makes more of these kits with their other bombers and I decide I like them enough to get rid of the full size ones I have in storage in favor of making smaller versions with just as much detail in the cockpit, which is where I find a lot of the fun in the model anyway. (Someone else could be happy to find them on ebay or ?) And I don't need to agonize about which nose art to pick. Like the old potato chip commercial, betcha' can't build just one. We could even find ourselves not worrying about the wing airfoil profile for a B-24 or the lack of 2 of the required cylinders for an A-26 kit. Cut off the front and make that part alone.

I know I am weird and a "freak of nature" as I signed in my high school yearbook, but I enjoy it. That is what makes life interesting. It appears that we still have the option to build a full kit, but those who like the plane and can't or don't want to display it can still make part of it. I guess I expect the worst and am extremely happy when my expectations are exceeded.

Tnarg

Edited by Tnarg

On 7/11/2020 at 10:46 PM, Gazzas said:

I hate to use an overused cliche...  but it is what it is.  We can't fix it or change it.   Maybe it would be best if they got rid of 1/32 scale altogether.  Figs, planes, tanks, and gear all in one, happy scale.

Good try!! 1:32 was first. Sorry, pip-squeak 35th is the one that needs to clear off!!

Seriously, I know, it is what it is. For some it makes no difference, some make anything that catches their eye, but for some of us, consistency in the collection IS important. It was just such a dreadful shame it went the way it did.  And I just did crack, I bought a couple of Meng World War 1 tanks, one with a full interior, so even I am softening in my old age!

On 7/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Scotsman said:

I'm 62 years old , and I'm still being surprised by the gaps in my  Aviation knowledge ..the fact that its's weird and ugly , I was certain it had to be British, or possibly french, but Polish - ye gods!

At least it seems to have Bristol engines!!!

1 hour ago, Tnarg said:

I am sorry to hear that some interpret this thread with the conclusion that "no one is happy". That is most likely wrong, and definitely wrong in my case and probably HKM's case.

I was not going to build a Lancaster in 1/32 scale. I understand the fascination with the plane, but I never felt that. It is very large in 1/32 scale and I already have quite a few larger models. I haven't finished a B-17 and B-25 that I have on the shelf because I don't really have the space to put several of them (and many other kits in the stash). However, I have to admit that the Lancaster looks really fine. I could build a front section with Airscale's instrument panel, some Master gun barrels and maybe some Eduard interior components plus an alternative nose art decal and there you have it... I am happy, HKM is happy and quite a few other companies are happy and continue to gain revenue to pay people to make more good things.

Maybe my wife and my wallet aren't so happy, but on the other hand, the nose section fits in the display cabinet, so maybe she is happy I didn't make a giant model to hang from the ceiling. Maybe HKM makes more of these kits with their other bombers and I decide I like them enough to get rid of the full size ones I have in storage in favor of making smaller versions with just as much detail in the cockpit, which is where I find a lot of the fun in the model anyway. (Someone else could be happy to find them on ebay or ?) And I don't need to agonize about which nose art to pick. Like the old potato chip commercial, betcha' can't build just one. We could even find ourselves not worrying about the wing airfoil profile for a B-24 or the lack of 2 of the required cylinders for an A-26 kit. Cut off the front and make that part alone.

I know I am weird and a "freak of nature" as I signed in my high school yearbook, but I enjoy it. That is what makes life interesting. It appears that we still have the option to build a full kit, but those who like the plane and can't or don't want to display it can still make part of it. I guess I expect the worst and am extremely happy when my expectations are exceeded.

Tnarg

Well said Tnarg! 

Here's a thought: HKM Lancaster Nose Art Group Build? 

Kind regards,

Paul

P.S. As I'm a bona fide weirdo (my wife says so, so it must be true) and you apparently are a freak of nature we could form a club? :piliot:

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Apples and oranges here.   An RC plane's purpose is to be flown outside. As such, it more often than not is broken down and stored out of sight when not being flown.   A model is, by it's nature, an object to put on display.  I've got plenty of room in the basement / garage for multiple massive RC planes.   I've got pretty much no room indoors to display a beast like a 32nd scale Lanc.  I would imagine that many of the folks here on LSP have similar issues. 

I'm all for the the big plane kit's, but I think you already know that. :frantic:

PBY-5A, Aeromarine, B-25j etc...

We are really spoiled by the many 'giant' kits we are getting. But nobody says you have to do them all...

The most important issue is how to keep the mojo over a long timespan. Everybody can loose it even on a less.

complicated build, but you really have to pick only kits where the 'love' for the project and subject can last for a very long time!!!!

Maybe along the way you can find a creative way to display them.

I would like to know if any of you have had any experience with the HKM wall mount thinghy?

detail-stand2.jpg

Kent