Alex

A6M2b Zero - Attack on Pearl Harbor - 1/32 Tamiya

Nice resource!  I picked up Aero Detail 26 for my Shiden Kai build and found it to be a wonderful book.  Jam-packed with info like most Japanese publications and it also has English.

Still slowly working away at this.  The parts fit so well that I'm perversely compelled to address invisibly fine gaps that I might ignore on a lesser kit....

Empennage in place...

pmRKlD2ej

These were fiddly to do.

po009PUSj

On 7/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Madmax said:

Lovely work so far Alex! Enjoy the kit - despite one or two niggles with tight fitting surfaces, it is a real treat.

Thanks!  Your build of the Nakajima A6M has been great inspiration and information for me. 

I actually have a specific question for you - you chose not to use the Eduard PE replacements for the structural braces in the wheel wells.  As I recall you thinned out the plastic ones but left them in place.  I'm at the point now where I have to decide if I'm going down the road of major surgery to take out the plastic and replace with PE.  I think that if done well it *could* look really good; I'm not 100% sure I have the chops to do it really well.  Any commentary you have on why you went the way you did, whether you've seen others succeed with the PE replacement, etc would be helpful.

Those 20mm cannon are really nicely molded for something that's just going to disappear into the wing and never be seen again.  I had to resist the urge to spend time dry-brushing them.  If/when I do this kit again as an A6M5 I may need to work out how to make the service panels removable.  It would require splitting the subpanel that Tamiya has you glue in.  They provide two variants, one with larger bulges to clear the larger magazines of the A6M5, but the subpanel includes the service panel and part of the wing structure that the cannon mounts to, so it would have to be sawn in half.  Having two sets actually makes that a lot easier.  Add it to the list for next time...