1/24th Scale WWII Pilot

inxlinx

Hi. I'm fairly new to posting here so I am unsure where to post this, but I am trying to find a 1/24th WWII American pilot figure for my 1/24th P-47 model I am planning to start soon. Everywhere I've looked has either been 1/32nd or the Ultimate Soldier 1/18th pilots. Any help is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

:post1:  I'm not sure about a P-47 specific pilot but there are several 1:24 pilot figures available, as far as I am aware.

Not much help without a link Kev! :P

When searching eBay/online all I have come across so far are either British or German 1/24th pilots. I'm just seeing if there are any American pilots out there, even if it's Navy I can modify it.

You can also look at the '75mm' scale as this roughly corresponds to 1/24.

few links:

https://elan13.co.uk/Fleet-Air-Arm-Pilot-WW2-1/24-scale-75mm

https://elan13.co.uk/RAF-Pilot-With-Dog-WW2-75mm-1/24

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2216

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/luftwaffe-pilot-ww2-75mm-from-elan13-miniatures.160848/

gives you some other nationalities too.

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

Not much help without a link Kev! :P

I have no links handy. As to pilots, the Barracuda Typhoon pilot is simply outstanding, though of course British (I still need to grab one or two). It just seems that I've seen some American pilots in the larger scale before, just don't remember where.

Thanks for the input. Come to find out (stupid me for not checking) the kit I bought does have a pilot with it, though it is made from rubber. I may remold it and make it out of resin for better durability.

• 3 months later...

They are not too easy to find, but the Trumpeter 1/24th  P-51 includes two officer figures and one pilot. The quality is pretty good, but maybe not quite up to the standard of some producers. I have seen the individual figures also advertised on E-Bay for about £13.00 each (about $17.00 or so). 

If you change your mind about the figure that comes with the kit, these could be a good alternative.

Chris. 

43 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

They are not too easy to find, but the Trumpeter 1/24th  P-51 includes two officer figures and one pilot. The quality is pretty good, but maybe not quite up to the standard of some producers. I have seen the individual figures also advertised on E-Bay for about £13.00 each (about $17.00 or so). 

If you change your mind about the figure that comes with the kit, these could be a good alternative.

Chris. 

For your information, it is very possible that figures on Ebay priced as low as that are recasts of very poor quality.  These pirates often use hte original manufacturer's pictures to aid in their selling, but all they do is make a poor cast of the original figure.  A lot of the detail would be lost.  On Planet Figure Iwhere I too am a member) there has been repeated threads and warnings about those.

Hi, Landrotten Highlander.

Yep, you could well be right. They use a photo of the original figure in the E-Bay listing, so it is very much a case of "buyer beware". Having said that, if the figures turn out to be poor re-casts, at least of have Paypal's payment protection. There is the possibility that the caster of these figures both sells them to Trumpeter and advertises them on E-Bay. I've never bought one on the Bay, so this is pure speculation on my part. 

I've just remembered - Trumpeter also provide some suitable RAF figures with their 1/24th Spitfires.

Cheers.

Chris.   

I ran into the same issue for my current F6F build. You can check out how I’m slowly making my own: 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/86796-124-f6f-5-hellcat-in-flight/

I figure the cost was about the same as any aftermarket (if it existed). A little more work, but is shaping up nicely.

Peter

9 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Trumpeter also provide some suitable RAF figures with their 1/24th Spitfires.

I used them and are quite nice, a bit stiff on their pose but that can be addressed easily with a bit of work.
Beside the pose modification, the pilot missed a lot of accessories like his parachute and flying googles. Not sure it's suitable for a US aircraft but if you can get your hands on the P51 figure, that's where I would start.

Spit_mkIX_24_225_figure.png

Spit_mkIX_24_246_figure.png

There will be two high quality 1/24 USAAF Pilots coming in 2nd Quarter 2021. One in 'casual dress' uniform and the other in full flight gear and both standing.

Two more will be later in the year and will be seated, one for a P-47 and the other for a P-51.

Groundcrews are also due on the listings at some point.    

If you can wait, more details will be published nearer  the time.