Chek

USAF Vietnam Dark Green

Posted (edited)

I'm waiting for stock of MRP USAF SEA Dark green (34079) to become available, but got to thinking out of the selection of existing greens I have will any of them substitute?

The last time I did an SEA scheme was using Humbrol authentics long ago and to say I found them disappointing would be an understatement.

After a visit to Alconbury and seeing an RF-4C and F-111E in the real world, I junked the F-4E and F-100 I'd been working on as the colour tones were all wrong. Seriously wrong.

The MRP SEA Tan and Medium Green I'm now using look pretty good to my eye but my question is are there any particular properties of the Dark Green that make it

noticeably different from RAF Dark Green, or Swedish Dark Green? I haven't got access to the real thing and photos whether online or in print can be misleading.

Opinions/suggestions welcomed.

Edited by Chek

Despite the above post, FS 34079 Dark Green (no RAF) is the correct color according to 3 different decal sheets I have, included Two Bobs.  Model Master makes this color in an enamel, #1710.  For my F-4E build, I lightened all 3 colors with a bit of white for scale and weathering,so "exact" shades of green are subjective anyway.  For a color reference, here is my model, again with lightened paint.

1/32 Tamiya F-4E, Germany 1980

Cheers,

Chuck

7 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've always relied on Model Master, but they seem to be harder to find these days.

Because production of them seems to be completely done.  Pretty sure Testors has discontinued their enamel paints.

Matt 

1 minute ago, scvrobeson said:

Because production of them seems to be completely done.  Pretty sure Testors has discontinued their enamel paints.

Matt 

Yep, I fear their days are numbered.

True Color makes a line of Viet Nam colors and their 34079 is nice

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, scvrobeson said:

Matt 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

They’ve already stopped production.  

I think that was just a rumor due to no more distribution internationally outside of the US and Canada.  From FineScale Modeler:

"We followed up on this rumor and here is the statement from Vincent Pierri, public relations for Rust Oleum, the parent company of Testors: 

"Rust Oleum is no longer selling the Testors brand internationally, through distributors, but continues sales and distribution in the United States and Canada without interruption."

And further, here is their website with a full product line:

Cheers,
Chuck
Edited by chuck540z3

That's a super scaled back line, and I'm just going off what the hobby store owner said.  Said they can't get any new Model Master stuff in, so the few bottles left on the shelf were it.

Matt 

I've been trying to purchase the MRP SEA colors for the last few weeks but everyone seems to be out. I've tried to order directly but it looks like they don't ship the solvent based paints to the US. They must be having production and shipping problems due to the current situation. Since I discovered MRP lacquer paints I haven't bought anything else. They are the most forgiving paint I have ever used. They spray great.

Posted (edited)

Yes I'm switching over too and was surprised to find I now have about 30 MRP colours.

The UK outlet I buy from had a recent delivery to restock some of their range, but not all the ones I needed.

Still, they're very good and have an email alert system so just more patience required I guess.

Edited by Chek
spelling

14 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I've been trying to purchase the MRP SEA colors for the last few weeks but everyone seems to be out. I've tried to order directly but it looks like they don't ship the solvent based paints to the US. They must be having production and shipping problems due to the current situation. Since I discovered MRP lacquer paints I haven't bought anything else. They are the most forgiving paint I have ever used. They spray great.

SprueBrothers seems to have most of them.

Matt 

4 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

SprueBrothers seems to have most of them.

Matt 

Thanks, I just put in an order. I picked up a bunch of the WWI colors too. Now if I could find 2 or 3 bottles of Light Gull Grey for my Tamiya F-4J. I have plenty of time anyway. I haven't even started the beast.