Staggerwing

JimRice

Contemplating my next build project

I pulled out the old Staggerwings Unlimited (ITC mold) which is a generic G/D-17 and Scratchbuilders kits based on SU kit but in resin and with different (corrected) cowling For an F-17 with Jacobs engine. 

SU kit fit is better but has no wheel wells and thick clunky landing gear, doors, toy like wheels, a horrible tapered cowling and no interior.   None of this is surprising considering the original ITC kit was motorized and more of a toy.  Surprising the fit is decent.  

Scratchbuilders kit has interior, wheel wells, improved landing gear, nice engine, prop, full interior.  The fit is poor and some of the resin is warped.  

Trying to decide whether to kitbash the two to make one decent looking Staggerwing or to pick one and go.   Of course, I could pick any of the three hundred kits...maybe a shake and bake.  

...or I could pull out my 1/32 Ghost Models Globe GC-1B vacuform and have to deal a general shape and no details.  It could be an easier path than either of the above.  Problem is, my last vac took three plus decades...

Decisions, decisions...

p8JpTs.jpg

CEl4ee.jpg

DnokMh.jpg

I once owned the SU version and every time I pulled it out of the box I went back and forth between wanting to have a Staggerwing and thinking that I might be better off starting with some wood and a knife. Maybe the combination of the two kits could yield a decent engine and airframe. I guess as they say, are we kit assemblers or model builders?

I always make it too hard for myself by diving for the details. My wife notices things in her art that no one will ever see. I think we all have that problem and that is the root of building something that we know is there but is sealed up inside the fuselage. I would say it is only money and you will probably be ahead if you pull the two kits together use the resin kit as if you bought an aftermarket upgrade set and try to patch the places where they join as best you can, make it look good from a few feet away. (easy to say since I'm not the one building it).

Think of it this way. Once you nearly finish the build, ICM or IBG will announce yet another great 1/32 kit of a between the wars aircraft made by Beechcraft. We will thank you for your service.

Tnarg

Personally I would combine both if the largest resin parts are not dimensionality ok. As the resin kit was clearly based on the plastic one, mixing and matching should not be too difficult. 

This is alas another topic for which useful documentation is quite limited. 

Staggerwing info is out there. There are a couple of high profile (in vintage aviation circles) restorations happening at the moment, with quite a bit of good photographic reference availiable. 

There are few plan sets around, but usually for the later models. 

If ICM released a 1/32 kit, or even roden scaled up their 1/48, I'd be on them like a heartbeat!!

Though, a polished little Swift with the original blue trim would look gorgeous! The nosebowl would be a tedious thing to build!

Thanks very much!

This is the first picture of a military Staggerwing on floats I'm seeing!!! I have different pictures of civilian ones but none of a US military version.

There should be at least another one showing one plane in Alaska as this is the one you commonly see in profiles and in some kits such as the Roden one.

With regard to the floats, I've normally everything to build them (various scale plans obtained from different sources as well as some pictures of the floatplane in civilian use). However, for sure, I've no detailed picture of the floats fixtures.