Hong Kong Models B-25 Glass Nose.

ade rowlands

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Thanks. Yep, this will be the one and only B-25 I do due to its size. Does it come with the wall mount like the B-17? For a book I’d just like something that is a basic walk around so the Squadron book should suffice. 

Hey there Ade,

If you think that you could modify the B-17 wall mount to work on your B-25 kit then I have a B-17 kit that I don't plan to wall mount so you're welcome to it for whatever the postage would be... Mike

I wonder if this new boxing will cause anyone to bring out new decals. Really isn’t much out there for the glass nose. I think I remember that this kit isn’t correct for a British B-25 because the upper turret is in the wrong position? 

5 minutes ago, mkd1966 said:

Hey there Ade,

If you think that you could modify the B-17 wall mount to work on your B-25 kit then I have a B-17 kit that I don't plan to wall mount so you're welcome to it for whatever the postage would be... Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike I’ll bear it in mind once the kit arrives and I get my head around how big it is. I’ll decide on what I’m doing and where it’s going then. 

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

I wonder if this new boxing will cause anyone to bring out new decals. Really isn’t much out there for the glass nose. I think I remember that this kit isn’t correct for a British B-25 because the upper turret is in the wrong position? 

The RAF flew the J, it was designated the Mk.III, Hasegawa released a kit in 1/72, pity Dutch Decals didn't release a set, they were flown by 320 Dutch Sqn amongst others.

Red Gecko produced a set of decals.

4 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

The RAF flew the J, it was designated the Mk.III, Hasegawa released a kit in 1/72, pity Dutch Decals didn't release a set, they were flown by 320 Dutch Sqn amongst others.

Red Gekko produced a set of decals, now oop, but you might get lucky.

Of course. I had the markings in the 1/48 Italeri Rebox of the Accurate Minatures kit.  I’ll look more in to it as I’m sure I saw some in 1/48 that were a little different to the kit offerings. It might be a job for the silhouette cutter. 

I'm working on the strafer kit now.  I've added a ton of AM stuff.  Here are my thoughts.

• Eduard cockpit set - worth it, pretty visible
  • Eduard bomb bay set - worth it if posing with an open bomb bay, very visible, adds lots of details
  • Eduard fuselage interior set - not really worth it, everything is hidden after closing the fuse.  If posing with the boarding ladders down, this kit may be of more value.
  • Eduard brassin wheels - worth it, way better details than kit wheels
  • AMS prop set - worth it, totally.
  • G-factor gear - nice but probably not necessary.  The plastic gear is pretty robust and fairly well detailed.
  • Aftermarket decals - probably not a bad idea.  Kit decals are sparse and not terribly interesting.
  • Master model .50 cals - absolutely worth it, especially on the strafer version.
Edited by Gewehr 43

All,

I am sure some of you have seen this before but, for reference:

The guns on this are the Profimodeler set. Overall I think they looked pretty decent but seemed a bit long in places.

Of note: These guns are brass. The technique I use to paint metal is first airbrushing it with a coat of Future floor polish (it's going by a different name these days). Then I apply whatever paint over it. I find the acrylic polish grips the metal/brass well. The overcoat was metalizer paint that was slightly buffed. I used the same techniques on the metal landing gear set.

Overall this kit is really nice! I totally enjoyed building this! As others have stated, there are AM parts that can enhance it but I didn't use to much of them. I have the gun nose version of this kit but have not built it yet.

-Ro

Looking at Eduard stuff, they seem to offer a lot but looking at the seats in particular, they offer a corrected seats set. Not having the kit yet to have a look are the HKM ones wrong or is it just etch being thinner looks more scale correct? Plus did the glass nose cockpit have the pilots and copilots seats as the same type or was it one regular and one short type for the co pilot? And if it’s 2 of the same type does the Eduard set reflect this or am I going to need 2 sets to get this right? Most build logs I can fine online that have used the Eduard set or the HGW set which is likely the same as they have a working relationship are builds of the strafer or cannon nosed versions. 

The corrected seat set is the one that has a tall and short seat. The tall seat is completely replaced with PE. The cockpit sets include extra detail for the kit seats which give you a pair. 

DSC_0546-L.jpg

The stock fitting was the corrected set. The shorter seat was to help with ingress but many crews retrofitted a full seat in the copilot's position for comfort. I built one of each set to mix it up. 

For the gun barrels, I forgot that some of the the kit ones are the wrong length. All 0.50 cal barrels are the same length and there shouldn't be any variations in length. HK tries to compensate for the tail guns' canvas cover and made them longer. 

If you go with Master Models, it may be more cost effective to buy the set for the B-17. It'll have more than enough for the B-25.

Carl

Thanks Carl. Yeah, I’ve put the Master B-17 set in my Hannants basket as I figured it was the most cost effective method of getting that many .50’s and depending on if I go with a cheek gun installed scheme or not (still to decide of the scheme)  I may have some spare for other projects after. Also got the Grey Matters rear gun canvas boot in my eBay basket ready to go. The Eduard interior etch set that includes the floor is now out of production and proving hard to track down. Brassin wheels look a little too weighted so I’ve decided to go with either the True Details set or the Reskit set.  So far this is what I’ve got lined up for purchase/consideration. 

The kit obviously

Reskit or True details wheels

Master B-17 Armament set

Master Shark fin style pitot

Eduard Bomb bay etch

Eduard Brassin bombs, undecided if 250lb or 500lb as yet

Eduard canopy masks 

AMS prop set

Grey Matter canvas cover for rear guns

HGW belts

As for schemes neither of the box included ones do it for me plus if it’s like the first release I’ll have to track down stencil data anyway. So it will likely be the Kits World stencil set though looking at what that includes I can probably cobble together most of it from left overs of other projects. 
I have a message in to Lonestar Models to see if he has any of the Red Gekko decals left after taking over the product lines. If not then it’s a toss up between the post war Dutch Decals set or one of the Russian Air Force ones from a Montex set. There’s some nice schemes out there for 1/48 B-25’s but not much for the 1/32. I saw some nice Australian schemes but only in smaller scales. I wonder if I bought them could I scan them and enlarge them in my silhouette portrait software. 

Edited by ade rowlands

Ade, I've got a bunch of leftovers from my binned kits including a bunch of what's on your list. Let me dig around and confirm what I have. 

I know for sure I have 

- AMS props

-  Eduard wheels

- GMF canvas cover

- some ED PE.

- Kits World stencil decals

Carl

52 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Ade, I've got a bunch of leftovers from my binned kits including a bunch of what's on your list. Let me dig around and confirm what I have. 

I know for sure I have 

- AMS props

-  Eduard wheels

- GMF canvas cover

- some ED PE.

- Kits World stencil decals

Carl

You haven’t binned the double build?