1/32 Nakajima A6M2-N RUFE

18 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

VERY nice!

Having built the MDC conversion myself, I can attest to how nice it is!

You did an exceptional job!

On my copy, the beaching dolly was severely warped, and the resin would not support the model at all. I ended up recreating the entire dolly out of brass.

Did you have modify or reinforce the dolly at all?

Hey Brian,

Oh beach dolly-it was horror.

Although it was straight, but when repairing the master they turned the main wheel holder down, instead of up:BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:. I wrote to the MDC, they promised to send me a new one, I waited two months and didn't send anything.  So I cut off the whole front part and glued it upside down, and I dolly reinforced the Evergreen profile. Without the dolly reinforcement, the model will not bear.

Then I'll give my money to someone else, I'm very disappointed with MDC's approach to customers

I watch and watch the beach dolly, I think over time it will start to bend

Wa7T1x.jpg

Edited by corsairlada

Too bad that's a shame. I know Bob from MDC to usually be right on things.

My approach was to rebuild the entire dolly from channeled brass:

DSC05160-XL.jpg

It seemed the only way to avoid sagging and having the dolly stop supporting the model after a few years on the display shelf.

Surprisingly it goes well even though the conversion set is designed for Tamiya.
The biggest modifications are at the end of the fuselage where the new fuselage end is placed.
The fuselage is modified here and the place for gluing the elevator must be adjusted / a saw, instant glue and putty are enough for that /.
My biggest recommendation is one: Stick the auxiliary floats on the model as the last thing.
When handling the model, I broke them many times.
After that, I cast new float holders reinforced with wire with a diameter of 1.5 mm.
The angle of the wings, which is small for TOMY / DOYUSHA, must also be increased.
Therefore, it is enough to grind the fuselage x wing connection a bit.
I hope it's understandable in this way written in "my" English.