Fw190 D-9 with Ta152 tail Brown 4 - info from Crandall vol 1 needed

hi guys

i have Crandall's volume 2 where he refers to volume 1 for a full profile of the Fw190 D-9 with Ta152 tail Brown 4

apparently it's on pp284-5...

can anyone help with the upper surface colours and pattern and anything else relevant mentioned in the book?

i am asking because i understand this information supersedes that given in his EagleCals instructions https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ec32_126.htm

cheers

Nick

Hello Nick,   The color recommendations in EagleCals 126 and page 284 of our Dora vol. 1, match, describing "Brown 4" W.Nr. 500647 of JG 26. The colors are based on the computer analysis of "Blue 12" W.Nr. 500570. One of the problems  in identifying colors on D-9s is some of the factories used  recycled wings.

Cheers, Jerry

Since you don't have Vol.1, which has the profile notes of Brown 4 as well as the analysis of Blue 12 that Jerry mentioned, I can relay the colors given for Brown 4.  Light green undersurfaces with wing bottoms in natural metal with front half and gear doors in RLM 75.  The upper surfaces are called out as RLM 82 Bright Green and RLM 83 Dark Green with upper wings in possibly RLM 75 Gray Violet and RLM 74 Gray Green.

Another excellent Dora reference is JaPo's  Focke-Wulf Fw 190D Camouflage & Markings Part I and II.  JaPo takes a slightly different route and describes the color patterns per factory of origin.  Part II covers the Mimetall factory Doras in the 500xxx series including Brown 4.  They describe the engine cowling of Brown 4 to RLM 83 over RLM 76 and overpainted with Green-blue (same as Crandall's Light Green) and RLM 81 during final assembly.  Upper camo colors are called out as RLM 81 and RLM 82, with the green restricted to aft part of the fuselage and possibly the canopy frame.  The under wings were natural metal with the front half including landing gear covers in RLM 81.  The ailerons and panels adjacent to the cross were painted in RLM 76.

I don't have the Jerry Crandall volumes but I do have the JaPo books. I picked up the Revell boxing because I must have missed the Hasegawa offering, anyway I wanted the one with the 'big' fin as something different in the D-9 collection. I think the fuselage colours are pretty much sorted but I went with 81/82 tailplanes and 76/81 for the wings. JaPo reckons that the wings were painted with the leading edge in 81 which included the uc covers with the ailerons in 76 as well as some natural metal. When it's all done there is not a lot of nm left, most of the underside of the wings is 81. Because of this and going on other info in the book where 81 was used with 76 on the upper surfaces of the wings I went with that. It was interesting to see after I had finished my model Eduards 1/48 D-9 brown 4 was released with the same combo on the wings. By the way the brown 4 decal in the Revell kit is way too small, I had to cut a stencil for mine (after I had put the decal on and had another look at the profile drawing). Another two bobs worth.

TRF