Old Revell Hurricane build thread

spreckair

A long time ago (10 years, 15 years), I came across a really great build thread of the Revell Hurricane Mk 1.  The builder really created a perfect example of the cockpit, wheel wells, etc.  I think the builder gave it eastern European markings, but I cannot recall which country.  I would really like to find this thread again.  Does anyone remember this?  And who the builder was?

Wow, time has flown! That was 15 years ago! Thanks again for your kind words. 

At that time I was fascinated with the 1/32 models by Rodney Williams and I was trying to imitate him.

2 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Too bad this was not turned into a kit. It was fun to watch.

I was not even thinking about turning this kind of work into "kits", but because of this model Vasko Barbic of Warbirds Models contacted me and asked me to make some masters for resin conversion/detail sets. At his request I made a few Hurricane sets that were later sold under Warbirds Models label, then under the MDC label and finally under the Grey Matter Figures label. This was really the "start" of my professional model design career. It led to all kinds of designs for complete models, conversion sets, detail sets, tools, decals, and lately CAD design for injection-moulded kits. I met a  lot of great people along the way and I found myself in great situations where I had to pinch myself. So, even though that particular model was not turned into a kit, it led to a lot more other exciting stuff. :)

Radu 

Edited by Radub

6 hours ago, Radub said:

Wow, time has flown! That was 15 years ago! Thanks again for your kind words. 

At that time I was fascinated with the 1/32 models by Rodney Williams and I was trying to imitate him.

I was not even thinking about turning this kind of work into "kits", but because of this model Vasko Barbic of Warbirds Models contacted me and asked me to make some masters for resin conversion/detail sets. At his request I made a few Hurricane sets that were later sold under Warbirds Models label, then under the MDC label and finally under the Grey Matter Figures label. This was really the "start" of my professional model design career. It led to all kinds of designs for complete models, conversion sets, detail sets, tools, decals, and lately CAD design for injection-moulded kits. I met a  lot of great people along the way and I found myself in great situations where I had to pinch myself. So, even though that particular model was not turned into a kit, it led to a lot more other exciting stuff. :)

Radu 

Your Hurricane is a masterpiece Radu and it certainly helped me and inspired me to take my PCM kit to the next level including the raised wing rivets, cost me an absolute fortune in resin rivet decals at the time!!

Regards. Andy 

9 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Your Hurricane is a masterpiece Radu and it certainly helped me and inspired me to take my PCM kit to the next level including the raised wing rivets, cost me an absolute fortune in resin rivet decals at the time!!

Regards. Andy 

Ah yes, I remember it well! (said with a French accent of course). Brilliant Hurricane Andy. 

Oh WOW. Radu's build was one of the reasons I came back to the hobby! I remember going to a local airshow and photographing the planes and found a model kit vendor. I'm pretty sure I bought a 72nd spitfire and a fw190d-9 (arch enemies :D) to build). I then spend the next few days trawling the internet (via dial-up) to find how these things went together (last builds I was probably 10 or 12).

It was during these trawls I came across LSP and this build and was captivated by the extras and scratch building. With my naive eyes I thought the kits hadn't improved and  it was the builders adding all the details!

I also tracked down Model Airplane International 051 October 2009 (so now I realise I've been back for over 10 years) and a nice build of a SH P-39 in RAF markings again with scratch building and extras.

Both these lead me to where I am now.

Thank you for tracking down this build thread, i've been searching for this many times. Its now saved in fav's forever. Oh I got a Revell Classic 32nd Hurricane sortly after. Made a right old mess of it 10 years back and it's now a paint mule!