1/18th Merit SBD-2 "2106" at Midway

REJ

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had alot of time to work on the SBD lately, but I have done a few minor items on the checklist. To begin with, I made paper copies of the national insignias and cut the circles and stars out of several of them. These circles and stars will act as templates for the masks cut for the actual painting. I will also use the paper templates to mark the alignment on the model itself. I have ordered two cans of spray gloss clear to coat all the surfaces for the small decales I hope will work better than the dash decale I tried earlier. The gloss clear should also protect the camo paint from being removed by the masks when they are taken off.

20200917-042240.jpg

Finally had an opportunity to work on the paint some more. I added the wing walk areas using the decals as a guide to length,  width,  and placement. According to photos taken during the time frame of Midway and just before,  there were significant differences visible. From the pictures of 2106 taken immediately after her crash landing on Midway following the raid, I made the "best guess". I have also started cutting paint masks for the national insignias.

20200919-020757.jpg

...a couple of paint repairs later, and we are just about ready to finish the canopy. One nagging problem is the fixed center piece immediately behind the pilots sliding piece. It's held in place by two small tabs along the forward bottom edge only. The back section free floats to allow the sliding gunners canopy to slide under it along its rails. The clearance is next to null AND the pilots sliding canopy slides backwards over it. Fitting them is going to be difficult,  so I'm considering perminantly gluing the gunners sliding canopy retracted forward. Haven't made up my mind yet....