1/18th Merit SBD-2 "2106" at Midway

REJ

I bought this monster right after it first became available and shelved it for some time. Too many things on the work bench ahead of it. Now it's time to get busy.

First, a short history. 2106 is an SBD-2 Dauntless that joined the Navy prior to Pearl Harbor assigned to the "Lex" as part of the Atlantic Fleet. 2106 participated in war games conducted in the US gulf coast area and flew mostly from hasty dirt airfields. During this time, 2106 ingested a lot of dirt and dust through the intake of the radial engine, destroying the rings on several cylinders. Shortly after the war games, the "Lex" was reassigned to the Pacific Fleet and 2106 was dropped off at Ford Island for engine replacement. The "Lex" left for a delivery cruise taking aircraft to other islands and 2106 stayed at Pearl. 2106 survived the attack on Dec 7th and, upon the return of the "Lex", rejoined her on-board squadron. 2106 was then a part, six months later, of the Midway campaign. During it's second attack run, 2106 was heavily damaged, but made a one-wheeled crash landing on Midway and was later recovered. She then went back to the factory and was repaired, but instead of rejoining the fleet (newer SBD-3/4s were coming out by then), 2106 was sent to Michigan to join the training of new Navy pilots learning to land and take off from small aircraft carriers in Lake Michigan. 2106 was spun into the water and sank to the bottom of the lake. There she laid until discovered in the '90's and raised for salvage and preservation. 2106 is now on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL.

This thing is going beyond extra large!

20200526-083951.jpg

The cockpit tub is a large sub-assembly with a lot of detail hidden from view most of the time. There is a section behind the firewall and ahead of the dash bulkhead where the oil tank, engine mounts, and intake are hidden. To make an access door or panel will, in my opinion, weaken the forward fuselage joints and make them took fragile. So I'm going to cover them and leave the details inside.

20200530-145658.jpg

I've added so more details the are easy to see, but were omitted from the kit. Seat belts, switches, and plumbing have been put the best that I can.

20200618-020333.jpg

The engine has received a wiring harness and some other enhancements...not many though.

20200602-013047.jpg

The decals are crap. I nearly destroyed one small decal in a test and discovered they are paper thin and don't adhere to much. So I'll paint most all the markings instead. This is the rudder with red/white strips added. I still have to thinly coat it with light sea grey leaving the strips to show through some. Such was the hasty attempt to change camouflage.

20200623-215524.jpg

I have added metal landing gear from Scale Conversions for their strength.

20200614-014710.jpg

20200625-232903.jpg20200625-232844.jpg20200625-232724.jpg

More test fitting trying to get everything to line up properly. The cockpit tub must fit correctly or the body shows major gaps requiring massive work. But before I can close the tub, I have to wait for a set of 1/24th scale placards and data plates to see if they will work. Not sure what I can do if they don't. 

Thank you guys for the kind words. There are a couple of questions I have that maybe y'all can help with.

Did VMSB 241 use the outer wing bomb racks during Midway?

Second, does anyone have an idea on how to scratch make data plates and placards?

Inspiration is an understatement.  This SBD-5 IS AMAZING! Unfortunately,  I have neither the talent or resources Rich had and, therefore, can not attain the same results. I will continue to try as best I can to make this build a one of a kind SBD-2 Midway defender. I checked Airscale and they have nothing I can use for the data plates. I ordered a set of P-40 placards (1/24th) from Eduard but I haven't received them yet. 

Not much to report lately. I've been masking the canopies the old fashion way with tape. It's tedious since there are no 1/18th scale accessories available to help. I'll have to do the same when it comes to the markings. Everything has to be hand made.

20200707-005201.jpg

So the biggest outward difference between the -2 and -3/4 is the panel immediately aft of the firewall on both sides. Since I couldn't engrave a straight line to save my soul, I decided to over-skin the section with thin plastic card stock. Here they are in place. I still have to thin them down some around the edges, but I think it's a fair start.

• 4 weeks later...