Trumpeter BAC Lightning - needs a re release

Scotsman

I keep an eye on Ebay like most of us do from time to time , and this one caught my eye , I know the Lightning F2.F6 is rare , but oh man , this is proof that the kit for all its faults really needs to be re-released...

Overpriced much?

And no I'm not the seller or one of the bidders!

Evil- bay up to its nasty tricks. For what its worth I picked one up from a LHS here in Johannesburg for R1400. (About 70 quid) a few months ago. Just waiting for a resin cockpit and then will get on with it, warts and all.

As a side note, I have noticed that kit availability has declined somewhat (and purchase prices have gone up) in the UK during this pandemic, which is bad news when you want to buy a specific model, but probably good news for modelling in general.

Derek

I just posted this because it ties in with what I've also been seeing , another F2/6 sold for close to £200 not that long ago, and yes it does suggest that there is a pent up demand , and a shortage of supply .. 

Now off to fondle my F1/3  , with ALL the extras including a T5 conversion.. DSG/DG  RAF aircraft forever!

3 minutes ago, vince14 said:

If you really want it, and you have the disposable income, why not?

Exactly its supply and demand.

Like all the little girls whining about WW kit prices because they didnt buy them when they where widely around.
Now whining more than an engine test cell because they have to pay more than retail for an out of production high quality in demand brand.

Welcome to capitalism!

We should not mix two things: the relative value of an asset and its variable market value. For sure, rarity generally increases the price (market value) but if rarity disappears suddenly, the price goes quickly back to the relative value. I got all the Wnw kits I was looking for progressively and even the OOP Gotha I got later was not sold for such crazy amounts. If you're a little bit patient, you can find close to every model that is quite rare and not for such amounts. By the way, Trumpeter large scale planes are not THAT rare. To me this is not simply capitalism but rather raw stupidity... 

It's a question of patience. I'd long wanted a P-51A and scanned ebay in vain for months.

Then i was alerted to one for sale by a member here on this site at a very reasonable price even with shipping from Canada.

I've also been looking for another Echelon Lightning to convert to a straight wing example (F1, F2 or F3) literally for years, before deciding to

get a Trumpeter kit and get Iain's, correction set when it becomes available. As you've seen even the Trumpy prices can be insane but back  in March I was able to get one on eBay at the original price when it was released plus 10%, which given previously seen prices seemed pretty reasonable. It needs alterations and work, but still easier than scratchbuilding from zero.

Pricey, but quite a few people have been blasé about the cost of things during the pandemic.  

OTOH he/she might have a build commission worth a high three or low four figure sum and they need the kit now.

Not sure I'd part with my three (F.3, F.6 and F.6-to-T.55) unless you prized my dead fingers from the boxes.

Tony

3 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Pricey, but quite a few people have been blasé about the cost of things during the pandemic.  

OTOH he/she might have a build commission worth a high three or low four figure sum and they need the kit now.

Not sure I'd part with my three (F.3, F.6 and F.6-to-T.55) unless you prized my dead fingers from the boxes.

Tony

But are you going to build them Tony......or just hoarding?? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, mozart said:

But are you going to build them Tony......or just hoarding?? :ph34r:

In another life probably, but the chopped F.6 is obviously started. Waiting patiently for Iain's accessories.

Pretty stocked up on Lightning goodies too, and seem to be hoarding Hunter and Mirage III stuff, though I wish Revell would unearth those allegedly completed tools for the Hunter T.7 and Italeri release a Mirage IIIB and 5.

At the end of the day, if JETMADS did a near perfect resin Lightning, Sea Vixen or Super Mystère we'd be handing over bundles of €300 at a time.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

though I wish Revell would unearth those allegedly completed tools for the Hunter T.7

Tony 

Back in 2018, I approached the Revell reps on their stand at Telford and expressed surprise they'd never been tempted to do a 1/32 Tadpole Hunter.

I also asked them to widen their range of 1/12 scale cars too.

Well, the 1/12 cars seem to be coming from them now, so I've got my fingers crossed on the Hunter Trainer.

Maybe they'll surprise us in 2021??

Either way, I think the sales would be very good for a T7/T7A and they should really do it!!B)