Trumpeter P-40E Now Out. . .

Avenger2614

10 hours ago, nmayhew said:

can anyone show pics of kit vs real thing etc?

Here ya go after a 10 second Google search...

The Trumpeter P-40E kit's canopy parts directly from the Trumpeter website:

5eaa873382fab.jpg

Note that the cross section is curved all the way over the bows from one side to the other, and results in a bloated shape that is wide on top. That translates all the way down the spine, is right on top, and VERY obvious on a built model. Google "Trumpeter P-40F" (same canopy parts as their E), look at some built models,  and you should be able to see it clearly.

This is the real thing:

P40-aftview-01.jpg

Note that the sides of the bows are flat with only a narrow curve over the top. 

Hey, if you can't see it and therefore find the Trumpeter kit acceptable, by all means build it and enjoy it. Just keep in mind that the Hasegawa P-40E kits actually LOOK like P-40Es, and are sold in the same price range as Trumpeter's balloon toys. 

As for online reviews, there aren't any, yet. Might never be, either, because it might not be worth reviewing.

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis

Somebody that would release corrected clear parts for all the Trumpyboss kits with flawed canopies could have found the most interesting aftermarket business if only it was easier to produce such parts. 

Alas, the number of kits they produced with totally accurate canopies is quite low. 

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Somebody that would release corrected clear parts for all the Trumpyboss kits with flawed canopies could have found the most interesting aftermarket business if only it was easier to produce such parts. 

Alas, the number of kits they produced with totally accurate canopies is quite low. 

Unfortunately, with Trumpeter's P-40E/F/N kits, it's not just the canopy parts because that bloat extends from the canopy all the way down the spine to the fin. 

D

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Given the existence of the Hasegawa kit, I can't see why this one would be worth bothering with or spending extra money on to fix the stupid Trumpeter mistakes.  

Indeed but there are times when a better kit is simply not available anymore and we have been alas  used to that more than once with Hasegawa. 

• 1 month later...

Good ki .But;No match to the Hasegawa kit’s.I have both kit’s in the (E) version.In my kits I will install engines.Stolen engines of the revell P-40 E.Engines will be modified.The engines is closer to the actual P-40E version.

I haven't seen a Hasegawa P-40 in quite a while, but I'd agree it's still a better model than the Trumpy offering.  Definitely need a Tamiya standard P-40 to hit the market. 

I have five Trumpy kits in my stash; six if you include the P-51B that will forever sit on my shelf of doom.  These are the P-40B, Wildcat and two Messerschmitt 109's in 1/32 as well as a 1/24 Hurricane IIC, which will probably all get built.  These were all bought more than a decade ago when I didn't know any better.  For my money, their MiG-3 is easily the best kit of theirs that I have built, so I have to wonder why they can't maintain that standard.  I don't imagine that I'll ever buy another unless I read from informed sources that the new release is actually a good rendition.  Ten out often to Trumpy for filling a gap, but one out of ten for their execution.  I'd have loved to have a Merlin engine P-40 in my collection, but this ain't it.

Modelling is getting too expensive to waste my hard earned on poor models, and there's plenty of good models nowadays.

Cheers,

Michael

I have several Hasegawa P-40s in my stash including one EduArt version (which is really nice).

The shape issues I have seen with the new Trumpeter make me scratch my head.  Looks like they put their "B" team on them.

Still I have no reason to not do my Hasegawa's because the shape on those is very very good.