Trumpeter P-40E Now Out. . .

Avenger2614

Trumpeter has quietly (?) released their P-40E in 1/32, complete with Aleutian Campaign markings, as well. While the sprues don't include some of the modifications made to the Aleutian P-40s (blast tubes on guns removed, insert behind the exhaust stacks, etc), it would still build into a decent representation. Having built their P-40F, which shares 90% of the same parts at the P-40E release, I can tell you it builds really well, has great surface detail, but the cockpit is really disappointing. Think about a cockpit that's about halfway between their P-40B/C and the Hasegawa kit; the cockpit is too shallow (but deeper than their P-40B/C), and the details aren't quite right in some places. That being said, you can fit an Avionix resin P-40E cockpit into the Trumpeter kit without too much hassle. I did this on my P-40F and it really didn't take much work at all, just reshaping the rear armor plate bulkhead to match the Trumpeter fuselage, and removing Trumpeter's fictional instrument coaming and a small portion of the fuselage sill. Here's a link from HobbySearch Japan with photos of the parts, instruction manual, and marking options:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10687509

Cheers everyody!

-Daniel S.

thanks Daniel

i much prefer a riveted surface so will give one of these a whirl and see what resin i can get for cockpit

i hope that Eduard produce some bits for these - they tend to leave things alone where they have competing kits i find

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

thanks Daniel

i much prefer a riveted surface so will give one of these a whirl and see what resin i can get for cockpit

i hope that Eduard produce some bits for these - they tend to leave things alone where they have competing kits i find

If you can get the Avionix cockpit for it, it's a great, great upgrade over the kit parts. I'd also recommend a set of resin wheels, too, as Brassin makes a nice set (which are too large for the P-40N kit they were designed for, anyway, and are more correct for any other variant of the P-40). If you do those two upgrades, you're in for a great-looking P-40 with better fit than the fiddly Hasegawa kit. I'm debating doing another one, grafting their P-40N tail onto their P-40F kit to make the P-40L. I have some great Kagero decals, and I like the look of the Merlin-engined P-40 variants. I'll close with an apt quote I read the other day: "The P-39 and P-40 didn't win the war, but they certainly made sure we didn't lose it."

8 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Well, the Trumpeter P-40E/F/N all have serious fuselage shape issues (bloated canopy & spine), so I think you'd be wasting your time. ;)

D

Agreed a waste of time, unless you want to build a model of one of the movie props from the 1942 Hollywood production Flying Tigers... 

50043072197_a8722bda5e_o.jpg

Perhaps a 1/32 scale John Wayne figure is in the works?

Edited by RBrown

are there any reviews which show where the Trumpy kits are inaccurate?

can anyone show pics of kit vs real thing etc?

I'm not saying the kit isn't inaccurate, just that I would like to know where and as far as my eyes can tell me, by how much.

Many thanks

Nick

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

are there any reviews which show where the Trumpy kits are inaccurate?

can anyone show pics of kit vs real thing etc?

I'm not saying the kit isn't inaccurate, just that I would like to know where and as far as my eyes can tell me, by how much.

Many thanks

Nick

look mate 5% of modellers make 97% of the noise about kit accuracy.
Look at some photos if you cant see issues build the Trump kit.

If you can save up some cash for a Hasegawa or ex Eduard N and build that. However if you saw issues with the Trump kit you will probably see the issues with the Hasegawa kit which are smaller but still visible, well unless your a Trumpeter hater.

Then even an old poorly moulded over riveted frog kit is a vocal better choice. 

Pay your money and take your choice but when your showing off your kits i can guarantee you 99.8% of people couldnt tell if it was an N, a E a P-39 or a Mustang.

the thing i most want to do - and am most frustrated by - is understand what is accurate or not, and if so where and by how much

that means i can decide with all the info available

problem is most reviews are bs, and are just 'a peek in the box' at best, or more cynically just an advert masquerading as a review (I speak as someone who did a lot of in depth reviews)

my thresholds for accuracy vary according to subject

my Tiger tanks need to be spot on, but my EE Lightnings not so much (just as well!)

my P-40s... well, I'm just trying to figure them out

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

I personally am at the point where trumpy releasing a kit that is just wrong means they can just keep it. The now very old Revell kit has better shape.

are you able to share the knowledge with a few pics?