Scratchbuilt Bushmaster PMV 4x4: now with paint!

GMK

One of the left handed elements of bringing the resin printer online is the temptation to revisit previously finished work, such as the rear light cluster & madflaps. 

ih1h1Xw.jpg

This iteration now includes hex bolts, blackouts, the reflectors, power outlet, & fastex clips for the camouflage cover. None of these were present on the original design & print. 

3 hours ago, TorbenD said:

Utterly lovely stuff - very skillful CAD and trad work

Torben

Thanks Torben. The CAD learning curve continues!

I haven’t had the opportunity to use my airbrush in over 18 months. So, with the excuse of testing how the non-skid looked under paint, I busted out my SMS Australian camouflage paints to see how it looked. 

vjdLXNU.jpg 

Got a little carried away, tbh. 

yItIk3F.jpg

Still, this sneak peek renewed by somewhat flagging mojo :) 

OAIZ0wY.jpg

Some more patchwork. 

EVWdTcJ.jpg

xzbD5Lr.jpg

Edited by GMK

Made some big steps with the interior painting, noting that not very much will be seen. 

Paints are by SMS, using rubber black for the mine plate, black for the floor, sea foam green for the lower hull sides, aluminium for the seat frames, & US olive drab for the interior of the upper hull. 

pMJZnct.jpg

Decals for the seat cushions once again custom made by a mate. 

11mr5fK.jpg

Will do some minor touch ups, then matte the finish out. 

kb5WBc4.jpg

I’ll also have to correct the interior of the roof hatches, they’re insulated with olive drab cushioning like the rest of the upper hull. 

The arrival of SMS paint’s CARC sand allowed another series of quick wins on the “how will it look” phase. 

NX2HUYr.jpg

So, the DUKE ECM antennas & mounts, plus the EOS R-400 remote (protected) weapon station & screen (on the dash) got an initial coat. 

Xh4Axpg.jpg

Then it was the turn of the satcom x-wing antenna & the base & bracket for the blue force tracker (or MT2011, as it’s known formally).

As you’d expect, this project required the collection of a lot of reference materials. 

Here’s an overall shot of the interior, close to closing up the hull. 

vo8kb73.jpg

Not a lot of this will be seen once closed up, so I haven’t been too precise. 

Here’s one of the references I have. 

44TBADk.jpg

What I *didn’t* do was confirm my assumption that the colour “glacier” was pretty close to the conventional “sea foam green” used in other AFVs. 

rOstAIM.jpg

The interior is much too green. It’s also not getting repainted. So, I guess the lesson here is that references need to be referred to in order to be useful. 

14 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Looks good.  CARC is bad stuff.

Sincerely,

Mark

You’re right, Mark. 1:1 CARC is pretty unfriendly, health-wise. 

Enjoying the continuing sugar-rush of basic paint work. So refreshing to see a coloured in combat Winnebago rather than the boring grey block on the bench. 

bxmwb1T.jpg

The higher-contrast background makes the outline of the truck much easier to see. 

5W9yEeI.jpg

Thanks all for the likes & comments. 

A lot of deployed Australian vehicles have a stylised red kangaroo silhouette painted on each side. Sometimes locals mistook the roo as a rat :D 

Using the Snapmaker’s laser cutter, I cut some masks in painter’s tape before using insignia red paint from SMS. 

ZuY3N9S.jpg

Ew6Q8QZ.jpg