Scratchbuilt Bushmaster PMV 4x4: now with paint!

GMK

Great.  You're beginning to look a bit like a Matchbox kit with those different plastic colors!

kjbQxnt.png

Not worth mentioning at this point, and it's a micro detail, but sometimes even I can't help myself, anyway.  To the right where the two arms intersect with the hollow cylinder, the cylinder should have a horizontal line running thru it, otherwise, the arm won't swivel.  Just sayin'.

Sincerely,

Mark

2 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Great.  You're beginning to look a bit like a Matchbox kit with those different plastic colors!

kjbQxnt.png

Not worth mentioning at this point, and it's a micro detail, but sometimes even I can't help myself, anyway.  To the right where the two arms intersect with the hollow cylinder, the cylinder should have a horizontal line running thru it, otherwise, the arm won't swivel.  Just sayin'.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark - certainly almost ready for paint!

I appreciate the detail feedback. I’m lucky enough to have been provided with references from the manufacturer....but made some compromises to insert rods for strength & due to limitations of detail. With the resin printer up & running, I can make details a little truer to reality. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the resin printer (Elegoo Mars) delivered, both a steep learning curve & an uptick in quality. 

Here is the improved design details of the wire cutters, adding nuts, bolts, cotter pins, & rings. 

Rgkm3OK.png

Here’s the print, still with supports. 

trDaHwT.jpg

Other side:

KUAn83n.jpg

Very happy with the additional detail. 

Looks like Murphy’s law of modelling is partially coming true - a kit will become available once a scratch build is more or less complete.

Dragon has announced a couple of 1/72 Bushmasters, a British SAS one & an Australian one. 

NF503Wh.jpg

8NsKgQG.jpg

Meanwhile, on my 4.5 times larger version, I’ve had a crack at the windscreen frame. 

zkVdU3L.jpg

8 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'Dragon has announced a couple of 1/72 Bushmasters, a British SAS one & an Australian one.'

They found your work inspirational and needed to do one themselves.

Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Too kind, Mark. Wish they’d scale theirs up a little, tbh. 

20 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yours is in the right scale and utterly superb!

Your printer seems to be really hi-resolution?  Nice smooth print surface looking at the pics on my screen

Loving this, keep up the great work!

Thanks Anthony. My resin printer is an Elegoo Mars, quoting a Google search has a “...standard XY resolution of 0.047 mm & a minimum layer height of 0.01 mm.” This contrasts with the resolution of the Snapmaker A350 (the big printer) of 0.05mm (XYZ axes). 

More small part work today. Hinges for the front grill, antennae for the VHF radios, & blanking plates for the AMU mounts. 

(of course) Australia had unusual VHF antenna. 

dj1c5B9.jpg

Onto the truck, which also has the blanking plates & window frames. 

sgXqVa8.jpg

Fit check on the BFT adaptor with a blanking plate on the rear left antenna riser.  

0t9l3ZX.jpg

And the hinges & handles on the front end. 

kjcGgO8.jpg

17 minutes ago, Robthepom said:

wow i have not logged on for few months.....great progress, cant wait to see it with AUSCAM

I cant remember seeing a post of how you did the tyres? are they printed?

G’day Rob, thanks for commenting. I’m looking forward to painting, that’s for sure. Lucky I’ve got good references. 

yv7TNQn.jpg

aRz1ac9.jpg

This is less a scratch build & more a “build your own kit”. I’ve cheated with the tyres & stole them from the Trumpeter M-ATV kit. Lucky they’re the same as what the PMV uses :) 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, dodgem37 said:

Good show.  What did you use as your non-skid?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I used Tamiya textured sand paint for the non-skid coating. 

Some more progress, looking more & more like a Bushmaster.

ekZtUsE.jpg

On 2/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, GMK said:

G’day Rob, thanks for commenting. I’m looking forward to painting, that’s for sure. Lucky I’ve got good references. 

yv7TNQn.jpg

aRz1ac9.jpg

This is less a scratch build & more a “build your own kit”. I’ve cheated with the tyres & stole them from the Trumpeter M-ATV kit. Lucky they’re the same as what the PMV uses :) 

AHHH nice work with the wheels

I'm guessing thats an 'official' camo layout document

Its funny when I painted my 1/35 Bushmaster I used the Showcase Models instuctions for the paint scheme, which some very unkind, sad soul ripped to pieces on another forum :(:whistle::lol:, I didnt care because it was close enough for me

Edited by Robthepom

1 hour ago, Robthepom said:

AHHH nice work with the wheels

I'm guessing thats an 'official' camo layout document

Its funny when I painted my 1/35 Bushmaster I used the Showcase Models instuctions for the paint scheme, which some very unkind, sad soul ripped to pieces on another forum :(:whistle::lol:, I didnt care because it was close enough for me

Looks official enough to me! Seems to match the layout on the 1:1 truck. 

My name is on the instructions for that kit. It was a good first effort for a new model kit company. Sadly, the owner died a few years ago before the LRPV was released. 

21 hours ago, GMK said:

Looks official enough to me! Seems to match the layout on the 1:1 truck. 

My name is on the instructions for that kit. It was a good first effort for a new model kit company. Sadly, the owner died a few years ago before the LRPV was released. 

I thought it was actually a lot better than a 'good first effort', its cracking kit to build, plus i have a real soft spot for the bushie after being involved in the fabrication of the bullet proof windows, i have 2 more in my stash:whistle::ninja: