Scratchbuilt Bushmaster PMV 4x4: now with paint!

GMK

Another lesson for the week was “never trust someone else’s CAD”. Here’s the result of a 1:1 model, inclusive of scale wall thickness (!), printed in 1:16:

M30583Q.jpg

These are my design & prints:

h7KIW63.jpg

And on the truck:

PkGcv5u.jpg

Took the opportunity to mock up the placement of the 84mm ammunition on the side using double-sided tape (Tamiya scale figure for reference).

w9yMopd.jpg

Overall shot:

2Bji1Qi.jpg

With stowage largely complete and holidays commencing, I can return to components that are more tricky to design. 

Well, with the week before Christmas & a mini lockdown in place, there’s finally been time for finishing outstanding designs. 

One of the biggest chunks of design to complete is the fuel cell & winch.  

dtIjBPM.png

These are located on the left side of the hull. 

VZBGMhO.png

That’ll cap off the most visible elements of the stowage. 

Finished off the A-frame design.

VvXIP3z.png

Now on to the suspension!

Merry Christmas, all! 

One positive (?) side effect of the recent lockdown is that my Christmas Day is remarkably unencumbered. Time for some CAD. 

Here’s the transmission housing. This is common to the front & rear axles, just rotated 180 degrees, horizontally. 

rwIAyni.png

The two parallel protuberances on the top of the tx housing will interface with matching recesses on the PMV hull. 

MSEZ0cE.png

As these will be supporting the majority of the model’s weight, they’re printed with 50% infill, as opposed to the normal 15-25%. 

cGQXcZh.png

The underside of the housing has a recess for a M6 nut. This will be the mechanical interface for a M6 bolt that will be inserted through a yet-to-be designed base to take the weight of the completed model. 

OiwwTzn.png

So, with that sorted out, the complicated bit of the arms, axles, and the like now becomes a priority. 

Edited by GMK

Printed the two differentials out, adding the M6 nut and some detail stolen from the 1/16 M-ATV. 

OpXauu0.jpg

The M6 bolt had been screwed into the nut to keep paint out of the threads. The 1:1 truck has a 400mm ground clearance, equating to 25mm in 1:16. 

8JB9v4v.png

Here’s the first iteration of the lower suspension arms. Once some of the interface areas have been re-finished, I’ll get them printing. Upper arms are next. 

16 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Nice work.

Are the arms pinned?  They appear as if they could be.  Pinned arms may present a problem figuring out the shock absorber 'spring', tho, in order to gain a flat sit.

Sincerely,

Mark

G’day Mark, great question! The arms will be pinned...thankfully I’ve sorted the shocks!

2eczYtD.jpg

The length is fixed, but the shock assembly can rotate around the pins. 

bDtYWkj.jpg

Upper arms being printed inside the next 24 hours. Apart from layout, the suspension arms are “representative only”. They’ll largely be hidden behind the wheels themselves. 

Upper arms have all been printed, as have the axles. Only four more parts to design, fourteen to print in total. That’ll finish off the suspension. 

c5IS9nW.jpg

Considering how much will be obscured by the hull & wheels, I’m satisfied with the level of detail. Some more cleanup, then time for the FS30219 tan.

Happy 2021, all!

More or less finished the suspension & transmission design & print. These parts have now been assembled, test fit, then glued. 

98xcEDQ.jpg

Took the opportunity to test fit the fuel tank & winch. 

L3xLutx.jpg

Also verified the ride height with the wheel assemblies - all looking solid, so far. 

JMAsBZk.jpg

Happy that it’s all coming together. Almost paint o’clock. 

Sorted the fit of the transmissions, suspension, & the new build blocks that incorporate M6x40mm bolts as the mechanical interface. Up the right way for some context pics. 

cM0sDzi.jpg

Only the front & spare wheels are correct for the Bushy. 

QGC9eDE.jpg

T’other side:

KKvIaxH.jpg

UCL3epU.jpg

Ride height looks good, overall look is what I was hoping for when I started out.