Scratchbuilt Bushmaster PMV 4x4: now with paint!

GMK

22 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I’ve built a fair share of 1/16 scale kits, but conjuring one—serious respect!

Cheers,  Tom

Too kind, Tom. Would like to see your 1/16 work. 

Well, the upper hull is 36% done at the 72 hour mark. 

0uVAcoR.jpg

Some of the support material has printed a bit flakily, but as that’ll be torn away & discarded, I’m only focused on the quality of the component itself - which is excellent!

Upper hull print done!

Y5LUsmb.jpg

182 hours of continuous printing for this one piece. Not a bad test run of the new printer. 

OcTkDqE.jpg

The weight includes support material, which will be removed. 

chOpEq0.jpg

Some quality issues, but workable after clean up. 

EAhLNda.jpg

634 hours 15 minutes of printing thus far. 

Edited by GMK

To give an idea of the wastage associated with support structure, here’s the upper hull at the completion of the print. 

3jxcpcK.jpg

And, after cleanup:

Kf0Zu7Z.jpg

Luckily the filament is $25 a kilogram, so it’s not cripplingly expensive. 

This is the piece to be discarded. One of the reasons I use PLA for printing is that it’s biodegradable if left unsealed. 

F8iSR9N.jpg

Edited by GMK

Not much progress this week. Found a chap online who’s scratch building a 3D printed 1/10 scale Tornado GR4. Apart from a hugely impressive project, he had a lot of tips for working with PLA, the material I’m using for this print. 

I now have PLA plastic sheet, courtesy of Tamiya. That’ll help with the detailing to come, permitting the use of Deluxe’s Plastic Magic glue, making this more like a plastic kit. 

Spot primer has also made an appearance: amazing stuff!

Also discovered a higher quality filler primer from Rustoleum, as well as some automotive finishing sandpaper that’s higher quality than what I can get from the hardware store, at around the same price. 

So, using those new-to-me tips, I cleaned up the upper hull print, using spot primer, the Rustoleum filler primer, sanding, then finishing with Tamiya fine primer. The last step was to mask off the anti-slip pattern and add it using Tamiya light sand texture.

OlSvo12.jpg

Other side:

70LWlLY.jpg

I was also afforded the opportunity to look over some destroyed Bushmasters at the War Memorial annex this week. Very handy for references. 

a2voK0Z.jpg

The ten day print was required to address a tolerance error induced by splitting the lower hull to fit the build volume of the older printer. 

The new printer consolidated what was previously 12 pieces into three pieces. 

Here they are, largely cleaned up and with the anti-slip texture added. 

jdCtklm.jpg

The new printer also has a laser cutter. So, after reading the instructions, I put some of Tamiya’s 0.5mm PLA plate onto the plate & started to cut.

M8Y2FCA.jpg

Here are the flanges for the suspension shock absorbers.

uln7tvg.jpg

Workable. And great for multiples of identical parts. 

Phew! Long week. 

One of the side effects of the tolerance error for the original version 2 print of the hull is that all of the stowage bins & interior parts that had been glued on were unusable on the new hull. Cue reprinting all of the stowage bins!

The larger printer bed of the new 3D printer (320x350x330mm vs. 125x125x125mm) means less potential for tolerance errors, but longer individual prints. 

The front right stowage bin/exhaust grill currently printing is a single, 190mm long, part, compared to four pieces on the original version. It did, however, take 82 hours to print!

Once the reprints are complete, I can move onto printing the newly designed parts, such as the shock absorbers, towing frame, hatches, & RWS mount. 

cJN2B9I.jpg

Edited by GMK