Aerial wires

One of the many areas in modelling that I need to improve on is aerial wires, I can usual string wires from a fuselage to a tail or from a post to the tail successfully but I am never really happy with the finished result, I don't like blobs of glue. This goes even more when aerial wires split off and go to multiple destinations. Also I notice people using tubular joins, springs and other tiny parts on their wires, where do you get these are how do you make them. I do have a nice selection of wiring materials so that is not a problem, I have some nice stretchy Aeroclub wire, nylon thread, invisible thread, EZ line etc.

Cheers

Dennis

29 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

One of the many areas in modelling that I need to improve on is aerial wires, I can usual string wires from a fuselage to a tail or from a post to the tail successfully but I am never really happy with the finished result, I don't like blobs of glue. This goes even more when aerial wires split off and go to multiple destinations. Also I notice people using tubular joins, springs and other tiny parts on their wires, where do you get these are how do you make them. I do have a nice selection of wiring materials so that is not a problem, I have some nice stretchy Aeroclub wire, nylon thread, invisible thread, EZ line etc.

Cheers

Dennis

Surely this topic has been covered in this forum before. Is there any way we can easily access this necessary topic now? Thanks, Stephen 

On 6/20/2020 at 1:16 AM, LSP_Ray said:

He was nearly the perfect Bilbo Baggins, RIP  Ian!

Hi Dennis, good question... I like to use elastic thread (avail at the sewing shop)... CA glue to attach it to the antennae post, and to create the springs go find the smallest diameter drill bit you can... and some fine wire stripped from a cable... wrap the wire around the drill bit, heat it with a lighter till it glows and then let cool. Bend the ends to shape and you have yourself an actual spring to attach one end of the thread to.

Practice makes perfect mate!

Cheers

Alan

On 6/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, alaninaustria said:

Hi Dennis, good question... I like to use elastic thread (avail at the sewing shop)... CA glue to attach it to the antennae post, and to create the springs go find the smallest diameter drill bit you can... and some fine wire stripped from a cable... wrap the wire around the drill bit, heat it with a lighter till it glows and then let cool. Bend the ends to shape and you have yourself an actual spring to attach one end of the thread to.

Practice makes perfect mate!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, a good suggestion, I will give it a go on the next one.

Cheers

Dennis