1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai 343-45

Thunnus

Although I'm not completely happy at this stage, I gotta trust in the plan and that subsequent steps will eventually tie the different elements together.

The next step is to apply a pastel wash to the model.  I mix my own washes using pastel chalks, water and a dab of dishwashing soap to help suspend the chalk in the liquid.  Very simple and can be used on any type of paint finish.  I'm using a dark brown overall.  The wash will have the greatest impact on lighter colors so I start on the bottom.
IMG-0197.jpg

IMG-0198.jpg

You can see the effect as I've stopped halfway to show the difference between wash and no wash.  The main purpose, besides highlighting details, is to turn holes (rivets) and grooves (panel lines) into dots and lines.  I believe that the "flattening" of these 3-D features help make the model look less like a model.
IMG-0199.jpg

IMG-0201.jpg

Since the topside green is so dark, the panel wash will have less effect.  So I've concentrated on the lighter areas (stripes, hinomaru and tail codes) and major panel lines and have gone through the trouble of getting every rivet.
IMG-0206.jpg

IMG-0210.jpg

IMG-0208.jpg

I'm going to seal the panel wash with another clear coat and then do the decals, which are primarily small stencils.
IMG-0211.jpg

IMG-0213.jpg

Thanks Brian!  Setbacks like paint lifting during masking kinda takes the excitement away but I'm going to keep plodding on and see this one to the end.

5 hours ago, AlbertD said:

You pulled off the additional markings beautifully.  It's too bad that amazing engine will be covered up. At least you have it all well photographed. 

Actually... I'm planning on leaving the engine cowling detachable.  So the model could be posed like this...

IMG-0215.jpg

Some shots of the model in the photo box (sometimes I forget to use it!) prior to decaling.

IMG-0217.jpg

IMG-0219.jpg

IMG-0220.jpg

I'm going to have to go back and read through your build log again from the start. When you were still building the cockpit I decided I had to have this kit and see what I can do with it using your work as a guide. I really appreciate you taking so much time to go into detailed explanation's and photos.

Thanks for following!

On 11/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, AlbertD said:

I'm going to have to go back and read through your build log again from the start. When you were still building the cockpit I decided I had to have this kit and see what I can do with it using your work as a guide. I really appreciate you taking so much time to go into detailed explanation's and photos.

It's a great kit!  I really like Hasegawa's approach... nice detail in the cockpit and wheel wells but they don't go overboard on interior detail that can't be seen.  Their kits seem to suit my building style more than say, Tamiya or Zoukei-Mura.

17 hours ago, Shiba said:

Hi,  Looks good on Hinomaru!! 

They used a higher grade of paint for Hinomaru red so you don't see the much chipping on the Hinomaru.

Nicely done!! :)

Regards,

Matsu.

Perfect!  I was actually assuming something of that nature when it came to the hinomarus as I did not want to apply my normal chipping effects on them.

Did some more work yesterday but Postimage was down the whole day and I wasn't able to post pics.  I gave the bottom some post-shading using a highly-thinned blackish brown.  I also decided to add some random wear stains using a metal stencil (this one is from RB Productions).
IMG-0268.jpg

IMG-0269.jpg

IMG-0263.jpg

IMG-0264.jpg

The model was given another flat coat.
IMG-0259.jpg

IMG-0260.jpg

IMG-0261.jpg

IMG-0262.jpg

Next will be salt fading on the upper surfaces.

Ooops... I skipped a couple of steps!  Prior to the second flat coat, I applied the stencil decals.  The kit decals are very well detailed but are on the thick side.
IMG-0221.jpg

IMG-0226.jpg

After the decals were sealed with a gloss coat, the model was given two flat coats.