1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai 343-45

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the input and comments!

After a brief hiatus, Shiden Kai build grinds forward.  The masked canopy parts are glued into place with Tamiya Extra Thin cement, being extra careful that the glue does not leach into the masks.  FYI... the clear parts were dipped into Future prior to the application of the masks.  The small PE shroud was glued into place onto the front of the windshield at this time.
IMG-0090.jpg

IMG-0091.jpg

The clear parts were sprayed with the interior green color first and then black over that.  It's important to make the frames as opaque as possible.
IMG-0096.jpg

Tissue paper moistened with water was used to mask the open wheel wells.
IMG-0093.jpg

Finally, we are at the painting stage.  To prepare the painting surface (and hopefully stave off paint lifting at the masking stage), I've cleaned off the model using a soft cloth lightly wetted with Windex.  The undersurfaces are given my usual pre-shading treatment.
IMG-0094.jpg

IMG-0097.jpg

Alclad White Aluminum is used for the base color of the undersides.
IMG-0100.jpg

IMG-0101.jpg

Some random panels are painted in other Alclad colors to give some tonal variation to the metal finish.
IMG-0103.jpg

The top sides are sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 Silver directly onto the plastic without a preshade.  Since the topside green color will be chipped with hairspray, the preshade will be applied on top of the silver.
IMG-0105.jpg

IMG-0107.jpg

IMG-0109.jpg

The AS-12 is liberally thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner to help preserve the surface details as much as possible.
IMG-0110.jpg

IMG-0111.jpg

Looking fantastic, John! Plus one on Gaz's comment about the extra layer of black on the canopy frames - never thought of that...

Thanks for sharing,

Rockie

PS - I've seen other examples of black basing used under metallics, and thought it never looked quite right. However, your effort looks great!

Edited by Rockie Yarwood
added PS

Thanks everyone!  I think modeling mojo is really kicking in now with this colder weather!

Yesterday, the upper silver surfaces were given a coat of hairspray, which was left to dry for a few hours prior to application of my preshading last night.  Same deal as I did previously on the undersides except the order.
IMG-0116.jpg

IMG-0119.jpg

This morning I started on the Green upper surfaces, which is a mixture of AK Real Color IJN D2 Green Black and AK Real Color RLM 83 Blue (3:1 ratio).  In order to modulate the pre-shade effects, I thinned the paint at a 2:1 Tamiya Lacquer Thinner:paint ratio.  The green color is built up slowly with multiple passes of the airbrush, generally working from panel to panel.
IMG-0120.jpg

IMG-0121.jpg

The nice thing about pre-shading is that you can dial in the effect from 0-100.  I like a very subtle effect so I'll be filling in the green until the pre-shading is almost imperceptible.  If desired, you can eliminate completely. The AK Real Colors spray beautifully and are very easy to work with.  I like the satin finish versus a matte or high gloss.
IMG-0122.jpg

IMG-0123.jpg

When using this technique, it is important to shift perspective occasionally to see the finish from different angles.  It's also important to account for the highly-thinned paint to cut into pre-shade layer over time as it dries.  The finish may look different a couple of minutes after spraying.
IMG-0124.jpg

IMG-0126.jpg

I decided to spray the demarcation line without the use of any masks, just freehand.
IMG-0127.jpg

The green is finished and I'll allow it to dry but not completely cure before I start the chipping.  The fabric ailerons and rudder will be painted in a slightly different shade of green and after the chipping process.
IMG-0129.jpg

IMG-0130.jpg

IMG-0131.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks guys! Didn't want the Green layer to completely cure so I attacked the chipping a few hours after spraying.  I found it best to work in small areas at a time and to not let the water pool too long the paint or the chips would get uncontrollably large.  
IMG-0132.jpg
IMG-0133.jpg

Japanese aircraft have been documented to experience very heavy paint chipping so I wanted to be fairly extensive with this without going overboard, keeping in mind that I can also add chipping later.
IMG-0134.jpg

IMG-0135.jpg

Since water disrupts the green paint layer at its base, I waited a couple of hours to move on to the next step, which was to paint the fabric-covered ailerons and rudder in a slightly lighter green shade.  Unfortunately, the green paint lifted in many areas.  The effect is quite interesting... almost usable.  After a similar experience on the combat flaps, I have to figure out a different way to repair these areas while trying to leave some chippings effects behind... salt chipping?
IMG-0140.jpg

IMG-0141.jpg

IMG-0142.jpg

IMG-0143.jpg

Outside of those paint lift areas, I'm fairly satisfied with the chipping effects at this stage.  My main worry now is the integrity of the green finish.  I've got some large adhesive masks coming up.
IMG-0146.jpg

IMG-0145.jpg