1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai 343-45

Thunnus

On 7/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, steel_tiger said:

Where did you purchase these from? Exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom... I found these on EBay.  Do a search on Galaxy Rivet Tools and you'll find a number of vendors.  The vendors are all from China so shipping may take a bit of time.  Mine took a little over two months between purchase and delivery.

After the black base coat, I use the Mr Hobby Kawanishi Cockpit Green C-384 as my primary cockpit color. The cockpit floor and seat have been pre-treated with a metallic color and MIG Scratches Effect fluid so those areas are chipped.  And then it is time to start painting the details by hand.  This part of the build gets very un-structured.  It takes a lot of motivation for me to paint the cockpit details and I'll usually do it in non-sequential order... just attacking whatever piece or part that grabs my attention.  Because of this, I usually don't have lots of in-progress shots until towards the end.
IMG-8818.jpg
IMG-8819.jpg
IMG-8820.jpg

Slowly but surely, the cockpit gets painted and after that the big parts are given a clear coat and a dark wash is applied.  Since there are a lot of delicate parts, I have to be very careful during the wash process.  After the wash, a flat coat is put on and final weathering effects are applied like dry-brushing edges and some oil staining.
IMG-8825.jpg
IMG-8828.jpg

The cockpit is then partially assembled to see how the various painted components look together.  This dry-fitting exercise has a few missing components, most notably the seat harnesses, which should be arriving this week.  The starboard side...
IMG-8829.jpg
IMG-8830.jpg
IMG-8831.jpg
IMG-8832.jpg

The port side...
IMG-8833.jpg
IMG-8834.jpg
IMG-8835.jpg

We can't forget the reality of what happens when both cockpit sidewalls are put into place.
IMG-8841.jpg

Thanks guys!  The Brengun PE set was really fun to use and I don't think I've ever said THAT about a PE set.  And yes, the cockpit illustrations from Maru Mechanic were often referenced during the painting process.  I haven't gotten the HGW harnesses yet so the cockpit won't be buttoned up for a while.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

One more quick question - what method do you use to cut the brass tubing without crimping it?

Thanks!

Hi Alex!  I just roll the brass tube underneath the edge of an x-acto blade.  Back and forth a few times and the tube should separate fairly cleanly.  Make sure you cover the cut end as it may go flying as it separates!