1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai 343-45

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  I have a lot of patience right now since I'm in wait mode on some critical items.

I decided to take a stab at folding the bigger box.  It's not very complicated but the windows and narrow bits gave me pause.
IMG-8687.jpg

The PE tool was used to initiate the folds but I would have to guide the final closure with my fingers.
IMG-8688.jpg

Whew!  That wasn't too bad.
IMG-8689.jpg

The kit part goes on top of this structure but some removals, top and bottom, are necessary to accommodate the PE enhancements.
IMG-8693.jpg
IMG-8691.jpg
IMG-8694.jpg

Since the two PE boxes came out ok, I sawed off the molded counterparts from the cockpit floor.
IMG-8695.jpg

This is where a sanding tool like the David Union D400 comes in very handy.
IMG-8697.jpg

With those structures out of the way, we can see how the replacement parts fit.
IMG-8698.jpg
IMG-8699.jpg

Brengun not only provides lots of small levers but the mounts, complete with a hole in the middle, to accommodate the new levers.
IMG-8704.jpg
IMG-8706.jpg

Lots of nice detail being added to the cockpit using the Brengun set!
IMG-8705.jpg

I've cleaned up the tail/fuselage joints and re-established the panel lines.  Still waiting on the new riveter.
IMG-8707.jpg

Thank you Robert and Michael!

With the majority of the PE pieces assembled, if not permanently glued in or painted yet, I thought it would be a good time to dry fit the cockpit assembly.  Many pieces are just sitting there so there is probably alot of misaligned and skewed parts.  But it gives a sense of the scope of enhancements that the Brengun PE set brings to the table.
IMG-8710.jpg
IMG-8711.jpg
IMG-8712.jpg
IMG-8715.jpg

There is still lots to do in the cockpit including the photoetch and acetate instrument panel, seat harnesses, maybe some wiring and painting, of course.

I cut the upper wings off their sprue.  I was keeping them attached to protect that thin trailing edge extension that will probably get broken at some point in the build.
IMG-8717.jpg

Rough fit with a few pieces of tape show a very good fit at the wing root.  I do see a bit of that "underbite" along the trailing edge of the wing fillet that I've seen on other builds but that should be a very easy fix.
IMG-8719.jpg
IMG-8720.jpg

Checking to see if the RB Models brass gun barrels need any special attention for attachment but they seem to be a plug-in fit.
IMG-8721.jpg

Lovely work on the PE John, very neat and certainly adds nice detail to the cockpit.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, Thunnus said:

This is where a sanding tool like the David Union D400 comes in very handy.

Stop teasing me! I contacted David from David Union and they can't currently ship to Australia because of covid!

Thanks guys!

23 hours ago, turbo said:

Lovely work on the PE John, very neat and certainly adds nice detail to the cockpit.

Stop teasing me! I contacted David from David Union and they can't currently ship to Australia because of covid!

That's too bad!  The low speed router is REALLY handy!  Amazing that the reduced RPM range and the form factor (much smaller) makes the tool that much more usable.  I now feel comfortable using the D300 to help bore out exhaust tips, which is something I would NEVER consider with my other router.

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi John , gunsight looks great , did the stencil come with it ?

Thanks Mike!  Nope, I dug into my spares and added a few stencils on the gun sight for visual interest.

The fuselage/tail joint has been cleaned up and given a light coat of primer.  Still waiting for the new rivet tool to arrive.
IMG-8736.jpg
IMG-8738.jpg

The tail wheel, which is a single piece and features a really tiny tire, has been painted similar to the main landing gear legs.
IMG-8752.jpg
IMG-8753.jpg

I've added some wiring to the cockpit components  Still waiting for the cockpit paint to arrive.
IMG-8748.jpg

These shipping delays are very frustrating.  I'm pretty much at a stopping stage on this build and have gone about as far as I can with the cockpit.  I'm tempted to just start painting the cockpit using Tamiya Khaki XF-49.  It's hard to say just looking at computer images but it seems to be a decent match to the Kawanishi Cockpit Green that I'm waiting for.

2.png
HASST33-kit3.jpg
45035753-1-720x.jpg