David Union Sanders / now optimum handy Routers

Troy Molitor

Thanks for posting this, Kirby! I'm in Melbourne too, and have been wondering how best to obtain one. Wasn't sure if Troy could supply or not, so good to know that he can! Do you mind if I ask how much in Aussie pesos the all-up cost was? And how long was the shipping time?

Kev

I got one of these routers, too, and it looks to be a great tool. Unfortunately, I was dealing with my broken arm at the time, then left for Oregon for our move so haven't had time to play with it. I think it will be a good bridge between hand work and a Dremel, which works at higher speeds. I got the sander from Troy, too, and that works great! Very handy. I also got a flexible shaft attachment for my Dremel that makes it a lot more comfortable to use. I put the Dremel in a vise and then use the flex shaft like a pen; much nicer for delicate work. If I get some time ( which is really precious right now ), I will do some reviews.  

I have connections to ship direct from David Union at exactly the same pricing David Union will charge you.  I broker the deal and invoice the individuals via PayPal.  So far, I've been able to send sanders and routers to the Australia, U.K, Germany, Belgium, Italy and Canada.   There is a problem shipping direct from Taiwan to Canada.  I receive my orders every two weeks from DU and then ship to Canada once they arrive into the US.   

I have also been involved with he DU design team to develop some new polishing heads for the D400 sander.  A couple examples are shown below.   I'm trying to get an airfoil shape head designed to get into those really tight places such as a wing root areas.  I'll certainly keep everyone posted on when these will be available. 

As far as the routers go.  I now stock the D300 entry level router, D360 E (elite) my personal favorite the D360 ACCU and the high end D550E.  Thank for your continued support everyone.

Troy 

M70XNEM.png1HZlFq0.png 

9 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks for posting this, Kirby! I'm in Melbourne too, and have been wondering how best to obtain one. Wasn't sure if Troy could supply or not, so good to know that he can! Do you mind if I ask how much in Aussie pesos the all-up cost was? And how long was the shipping time?

Kev

No worries, have DM you Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Hey LSP community,

I recently added another high end David Union router to the line up.  I received a request for the D550 Semi Professional System Elite, which I have already sent to Canada.  I'm now carrying this router in my line up.  The price is $150 plus shipping.  I use the standard USPS shipping box and can ship within the continental USA for $15.50.  Please note all International orders are always welcomed.  International shipping is usually around $20.00USD. 

I have shipped factory direct to the following countries so are. Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Belgium.Italy and several to the U.K.  You will pay the same pricing from David Union.

I recently upgraded my personal router to the D360E (Elite).  Note: This model will likely be replaced in 2021/2022.  I love this router and use it several times a week.  Initially, this router wasn't pushed my way but it has several features which make it quite different that the newer D360 ACCU, its replacement.  The 360E comes with a cradle to hold the router when not in use.  Third picture below.  The head on the router is a spring chuck 0.3-3.2mm size and it comes with ten piece bit set.  I have added a couple pictures below of each router.   The router is $90.USD.

These pen routers are not super high end torque devises.  They are also not your typical heavy / bulky 1970/80's Dremel type routers either!  

Last but not least,  I have added a few more pin vises to the line up.  D100, D112 long handle pin vise and the last picture is the D113 Wooden handle. Please PM if I can answer any questions you might have.  

Stay tuned,  several more intersting vender items are coming to my site soon.  

bu0tZ1v.pngCYM5DEs.pngcfRIivJ.jpgL6qFXGN.pngN1aJ4kR.png

• 1 month later...

Just a little update for everyone.  I have sold several routers recently and I just wanted to point out a new Spring Chuck with a head size of 0.3-3.2mm.   The D360 ACCU uses a collet arrangement and ideally you need a extra collet set (which is sold separately) for $15. USD to use your Dremel bits with the David Union router.  The new Spring Chuck eliminates the collet sets and you can use it for the smallest drill bits all the way up to the Dremel size bits if you already own a Dremel.  The advantage with the David Union routers is the low RPM which is ideal for drilling.  The max RPM is still 13,500 range.  These are much smaller pen type routers than the original Dremel.  

The Spring Chuck is on my site and costs $15.00 USD plus $4.00 shipping in the USA.  I ship world wide and the shipping cost will be for actual cost to ship.

Use the code M2002 when ordering.  Pictures attached for reference. qhITGxp.jpg

z3PUDNf.jpg

B7FkYwX.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Troy asked me to post some pics on how to use Madworks sanding pads on the David Union sanders with double-sided tape. 

First, you'll need a Madworks sanding pad along with double-sided tape such as the super easy to use Scotch on a regular roll that doesn't have any pesky backing paper to remove:

z9SjTkt.jpg

Simply pull of enough of the double-sided tape to cover the bit you'll be using, then cut a piece of sanding pad to fit:

rDoXZFv.jpg

Stick it all together, and you're ready to go:

D3HsAyf.jpg

Why use sanding pads on the sander? Mainly to sand curved surfaces without leaving flat spots. Flat areas also benefit because there's no need to hold the sander at exactly the correct angle to avoid 'hot spots' or gouging:

LWci1yx.jpg

A quick video to show that the Madworks sanding pad does work quite effectively with the David Union sander:

The Madworks sanding pads are available HERE in various grits and thicknesses to suit your needs.

Thanks D!  Looks promising..

If anyone is planning on ordering the sponge sets from my site there will be free shipping in The USA.  I'll check on overseas rates.  This also reminds me to adjust the shipping rate on my site to free.  Grrrrrr.  

• 2 weeks later...

TO you gents & gals,

A small shout out!  

Truly blessed with the LSP support.  I receive random orders from the Mrs for their man wanting a sanders (D400) or a router (too many to mention part numbers) for gifts under the tree. I get a kick supporting the following; Canada, U.K, Netherlands, Germany Belgium France, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, USA  and I know I'm missing several more.  (I know Im missing some one impotent...grrr).  You guys have wonderful wives that support your hobby.   Please THANK THEM for me!   I know I'm missing some one important here, but just want to say Thank you for the support.  

THERE are several new items coming out from David Union in 2021 such as the D600 belt polisher and the new anti torgqe D365AT router and I also asked David Union to continue their D240's Dust collectors boxes.  I sold seven of Boxes which are already discontinued but we never knew anything about this for the northern hemisphere.   I love this box collector.  PM me if you need a picture,   

Rambling on HERE but thank your wives gents!  AWESOME SUPPORT.  

Trexx

When you run out of certain product it's embarrassing.   I had to apologize to a certain Mrs and she told (politely) to hang on to her order, she needs the sander damnit!.  I have thirty five arriving within days but keeping the better half comfortable is most important..... Happy wives are a whole different story.   Thirty five years and counting and you'd think I would've known this already.  hmmmmm 

go figure............ let's glue some damn plastic together shall we???????

• 3 weeks later...