1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

On 9/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, rsanz said:

Can I ask what engine you are trying to replicate? It almost looks like the crank case of a 130hp Le Rhone 9Jb (which did power the three F.1 and about two dozen Dr.1) but not the 110hp Oberursel UR.2 (which was the standard Dr.I engine).

Hello! Sorry for delay with answer.

We will make both of them. First engine is for Mengs scheme B. So be aviable both types of crankcase.

Jan

On 9/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, Gazzas said:

That engine looks great!  Where would you be shipping it from? 

Meanwhile, I think my kit transport was just sighted off Singapore:

Hello :-)

Shipping from Czech Republic. (central Europe).

I send few packages to Singapore in past and everything came without problems :-)

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Unpainted build here.  

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/09/review-ptii-mengs-132nd-scale-fokker-dr.html

The top wing hasn’t been mentioned, but in some photos it does look bent upwards.

There's a recent RFI thread here. He states his wings were also bent some.

One point of interest in that article, is the two different locations in the tail for control cable exits. I'll need to look into that. Also, those reinforced openings would have been just a simple piece of leather, not big honkin' steel plates, as the kit seems to depict.

Yup, it is visible in that unpainted build - thanks for the link. Just look at the last pic of step 15 and check the line on the cutting mat vs the edges of the wing. It's visible on both forward and backward edges. Again, if you look closely at the fully built up pictures, you'll notice in almost every shot, especially the head on one(s) that the upper wing is showing a visible dip, not so the other wings.

I have recently reopened both my kits and checked the wing sprues, they are bent in both boxes. I may need to take a picture of either on a flat surface as I am fairly certain, all 3 wings are bent on mine. Not a deal breaker for me though :)

/edit

Duh, apparently I'm to dense this morning to properly quote. I was referring to Dave's post above.

Edited by sky
Apparent "density" ;) of the author

11 hours ago, sky said:

Yup, it is visible in that unpainted build - thanks for the link. Just look at the last pic of step 15 and check the line on the cutting mat vs the edges of the wing. It's visible on both forward and backward edges. Again, if you look closely at the fully built up pictures, you'll notice in almost every shot, especially the head on one(s) that the upper wing is showing a visible dip, not so the other wings.

I do see what you mean now. I had been looking to a post that showed the wing "warp" or bend and now I do see it. That is seemingly fairly easy to rectify I think though. 

24 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The more I see of this kit, the more I really like about it.

Agreed!  I really am digging on it, and although its non WnW perfect,  I think its still a far leap ahead of any other DR.1 kit out there, so Ill be picking up one, or maybe two for sure

On 9/8/2020 at 5:03 AM, Rick Griewski said:

The ship even has three sails! Expedited service?

Yeah, got too anxious seeing everyone get their's already so just ordered one off Ebay ($55.00 total WA state tax)

meanwhile have two on the same boat from Luckymodel apparently on the way since the backorder days...

Any bets today's China order beats the other two?  :hmmm:

Edited by phasephantomphixer
misspelling correction

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I do see what you mean now. I had been looking to a post that showed the wing "warp" or bend and now I do see it. That is seemingly fairly easy to rectify I think though. 

Yes agree.  The warp seems easy to fix.  I will work the hot water treatment today or tomorrow on the triplane wings.  I need to do the same on the wings for my Dewoitine D.500.  The D.500 wings defied clamping during assembly. 

Rick

On 9/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, Out2gtcha said:

So anyway, I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the way my wing sprues are warped. Please excuse the quality as they have been taken with my previous (4-6y old) phone.

First two photos are from the plain box, third is from the busty box (with the Richthofen bust in it). The light source is directly above the center point of the box where there is a code of sorts printed in the lid of the box. Please focus on the the shadows cast by the wings. In the first photo the topmost wing (actual middle wing) is only slightly warped - the right side in the picture is slightly further off the bottom than the left, left side seems pretty damn straight to me. The wing in the middle (actual top wing) is ok in the middle section, but arcs downward on both wingtips, slightly more on the left. Bottom wing (actual bottom wing, too) is also slightly out of shape according to the shadows but there it's also the actual frame of the sprue arcing as you can see by its shadow in the bottom left and right corners of that sprue. That is what I referred to in an earlier post when I said that the entire sprue as such seems warped. And it's only on the wing sprues in both kits.

Turning the sprue around for the second photo shows again the actual middle wing is only slightly out of shape on the left (same side as before due to the 180° change in orientation), the actual top wing clearly shows the dip in the center or really the wingtips rising off the bottom and also the actual bottom wing(s) show that the left side is a bit warped on one side.

The third photo shows more of the same on the sprue from my second kit.

On looking at the sprues a bit more I feel like the warp, at least in part, might have been caused by those globs of plastic that you see attached to the wings in various places (ejector thingies or whatever). They seem to have a certain height, that feels just a tad higher than the attachment points of the wings to the sprues. So if the sprue is flat on an even surface, those globs will push the wing up at those spots. You can probably see that best in the third shot. But again.. not that difficult to fix and, on the upside, I can report that I don't have issues with broken or split pieces.

IQwMYsU.jpg

3UUMjSl.jpg

409MM5D.jpg

If image size is too big let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by sky