1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

9 minutes ago, spacewolf said:

I would suggest a patch section to repair damage ?

Fokker Dr.I 187/17 photo comments;

-The bottom wing "white" cross field is simply unpainted translucent bleached linen.

-The upper surface camouflage staining and streaking is translucent. 

This is why sunlight can be seen shining through both surfaces. 

-The light blue used on the underside is opaque.

-Fokker Dr.I wings were reinforced with (opaque) plywood back to the box spar.

This is why sunlight is not shining through the front of the bleached linen cross field or light blue areas.

This is also why it is impossible that the light blue on the undersides was also used on the upper surface camouflage as some suggest.

Early%20production%20Fokker%20Dr.1%20187

Starboard%20bottom%20wing%20detail%20fro

49 minutes ago, rsanz said:

Fokker Dr.I 187/17 photo comments;

-The bottom wing "white" cross field is simply unpainted translucent bleached linen.

-The upper surface camouflage staining and streaking is translucent. 

This is why sunlight can be seen shining through both surfaces. 

-The light blue used on the underside is opaque.

-Fokker Dr.I wings were reinforced with (opaque) plywood back to the box spar.

This is why sunlight is not shining through the front of the bleached linen cross field or light blue areas.

This is also why it is impossible that the light blue on the undersides was also used on the upper surface camouflage as some suggest.

So, the modeller... if doing this particular bird ....would have to do the faux lighting around the back half of the lower wing kreuzen.  Another neat variation to go with the presumably black and white Prussian fuselage band.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

So, the modeller... if doing this particular bird ....would have to do the faux lighting around the back half of the lower wing kreuzen.  Another neat variation to go with the presumably black and white Prussian fuselage band.

Or wait until it was cloudy

Richard

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Only those with a penchant for the bland.

Go on then - show me a bland DR.I! :D

In my opinion, the closest you'd get would be the two prototypes that did front line service. After that, there don't seem to be two alike

Richard

14 hours ago, RLWP said:

Go on then - show me a bland DR.I! :D

In my opinion, the closest you'd get would be the two prototypes that did front line service. After that, there don't seem to be two alike

Richard

Oh, there are plenty of bland models out there.  I'm sure my 1/28 scale Revell Red Baron build Circa 1978 would qualify.  But it is interesting to find interesting photos to model.

3 hours ago, Robthepom said:

that does not look like WnW quality to me

Agreed, there's far more mould seam flash and ridges on fine parts than you'd find on any WNW offering. 

Also, looks like they didn't even bother to clean up the sprue attachment stubs on the display model. And what's with the two kinds of cockpit coaming and the two-toned plastic? Hmmm. 

Edited by Basta
Added specifics

1 hour ago, Basta said:

... there's far more mould seam flash and ridges on fine parts than you'd find on any WNW offering. 

... or a typical Meng model too. 

Keep in mind that this is a test shot and they use a different plastic (recycled/reground plastic) for test shots - test shots always look heartbreaking. :D 

Radu 

3 hours ago, Basta said:

Agreed, there's far more mould seam flash and ridges on fine parts than you'd find on any WNW offering. 

Also, looks like they didn't even bother to clean up the sprue attachment stubs on the display model. And what's with the two kinds of cockpit coaming and the two-toned plastic? Hmmm. 

The difference in 'pit trim fore and aft is perfectly normal, and does represent the real stuff.