1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

46 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Those high prices only exist because they are believed to be OOP.

Correct...it is simple supply side economics!

Supply and demand...

Limited supply + high demand = higher prices

Mark Proulx

I’ve just pre-ordered the basic kit from Luckymodel so Kagemusha thanks for the tip. Everything to do with accurately modelling this aircraft has been so expensive for such a long time it is great to see lower prices. Which makes me muse on whether we will ever see a reprint of the Paul Leaman Dr.I book which is currently $700.00 on evilbay and $1008.00 (yes you read that right) on AbeBooks. 

11 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

I’ve just pre-ordered the basic kit from Luckymodel so Kagemusha thanks for the tip. Everything to do with accurately modelling this aircraft has been so expensive for such a long time it is great to see lower prices. Which makes me muse on whether we will ever see a reprint of the Paul Leaman Dr.I book which is currently $700.00 on evilbay and $1008.00 (yes you read that right) on AbeBooks. 

If you're referring to this book, which is really cool, then I'm certainly glad I already have my copy. I also have the Triplane book by Alex Imrie, as well as several others on the subject.

8I8vm5.jpg

9 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Which makes me muse on whether we will ever see a reprint of the Paul Leaman Dr.I book which is currently $700.00 on evilbay and $1008.00 (yes you read that right) on AbeBooks. 

Looks like those prices are for wishful sellers, actual sold prices on ebay are only $130-140ish (thankfully I picked it up for $40 about 15yrs ago)

It's good but not $1000 good!

5 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Looks like those prices are for wishful sellers, actual sold prices on ebay are only $130-140ish (thankfully I picked it up for $40 about 15yrs ago)

It's good but not $1000 good!

I couldn't agree more. I never pay the scalper prices for books, no matter what. A shame, really, as several of the old Classic Publications books are still wanted by me, but I'll never pay the ridiculous prices asked for by some sellers.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

$1000+?  AYFKM?  Maybe for a Gutenburg Bible (first edition).

Actually what happens is that a number of these online booksellers (who have a huge inventory of thousands of single copies of books to manage) use algorithms to automatically reset prices for them when a book's price starts to climb. 

The algos add $5 or $10 to the title's price to keep pace with this "hot" book's rising price. However, the market is so thin that two above-average sales of a single title in a short period can set these algos into a VR bidding war that sends a title's asking price into the stratosphere. 

How do I know?  I was proud that my first book, long out of print, was "selling" for well over $800 five years ago on Amazon and Abebooks, though a friend who knew book sales informed me that no one was actually buying it at the fantasy prices. 

Edited by Basta
Clarifications