1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

5 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

Bottom line: in the near future I'll be able to build the WNW Fokker (or a reasonable facsimile). Cool.  B)

Sorry, we aren’t allowed to simplify it like that. :P  

We have to discuss whether it is the WNW mold, how they got it, financial details, where the engine comes from, the box art, problems with the CAD, etc.

8 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

So here is WNW's Dr. I as presented in Telford last year:

Scale ModelWorld 2019 - Telford

The sprues look similar to me...

Juraj

And what is interesting about these shots is that there are ;-

no pads on the wing leading edges

no inspection hatch between cowl and carb intake

and no [visible] rib tape.

so what are the odds that WNW finished the tooling? or that Meng had a hand in those final details?

1 hour ago, 19squadron said:

And what is interesting about these shots is that there are ;-

no pads on the wing leading edges

no inspection hatch between cowl and carb intake

and no [visible] rib tape.

so what are the odds that WNW finished the tooling? or that Meng had a hand in those final details?

Actually, the stacking pads are there, they're just tiny. Hatch and barrel jackets are just P.E., so no real big deal there.

The ropes on the middle wing perplex me, as WNW would never have signed off on that. Perhaps this is an early test shot that Meng had retained for themselves? I really have no idea, but I seriously hope they correct that, as it really looks bogus.

46 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The ropes on the middle wing perplex me, as WNW would never have signed off on that. Perhaps this is an early test shot that Meng had retained for themselves? I really have no idea, but I seriously hope they correct that, as it really looks bogus.

Could it be lighting or perspective, there are two shots I see of the wings from Meng, one from the front where the rib tapes look gigantic and one from the rear where they don’t.  In the original photos from Telford there is evidence of wing tapes but they are hard to see.  I blew up the photos to the extent i could but angle, lighting and image resolution minimize them.  I am wondering if we are getting a good photo at present of the kit images from Meng.

the one thing that I am wondering is what markings it will come with, as the box art states that you get the parts for doing f.1, d.1early  and d.1 late they must have at least three marking options in the box, but what markings? One is for the Red Baron but by the box art I hope not

Edited by boiss123

On 6/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, nmayhew said:

can someone please explain the faux pas with the engine box art?

It is a rotary engine, so if the prop is going round, the cylinders should be a blur... I bet the artist just traced over a CAD render, and not knowing much about WW1 aero engines,  painted what was on the render. He knew enough to blur the prop, but then my 5 year old granddaughter knows about aeroplane propellers..... Me, an influence?! Maybe, just a little.....

So we’ve conclusively established the following:

1- this is the WNW product, no need to discuss any further.  

2- wings are hopelessly botched due to stacking pad fiasco and require resin replacement.
3- middle wing is hopelessly botched due to tape issue and requires resin replacement.

4- box art is hopelessly botched and upon purchase, engine must be blurred with a sharpie.  Or, if we are lucky, the box the corrected resin wings comes in will have updated art.  

Have I missed anything?

To be devil's advocate on this, until the kit  injection moulded parts can be seen no real conclusions can be made. 

So far test shots, 3D renders, 3D prints and speculation are the order of the day so lets hope the production kit  has none is the "problems" noted. 

As we have been working in the 3D print/reproduction manufacture for over 10 years companies want their  product to be seen asap but forget they show the wrong version 

An old Scots saying "there's many a slip between cup and lip"

Bob