1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

Hmmm...

I wonder if someone could open a WNW  kit or two and compare the sprue design to this kit (e.g., where the gate attaches to similar parts, size and thickness of the attachments, how very delicate parts are tooled). There are now close-up pictures of the Meng kit.   

Just a thought...

Rick

I don’t know whether Meng did the old WNW kits but when a year ago, I said on another forum that Meng did the best P-51D Mustang In 1/48th scale, Eduard fans laughed at me. We modellers sure are a bunch of lemmings :P

Hannants have created a whole new section in their catalogue for this.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MMQS-002

So will Meng pick up the ball and run with it?

Cant honestly see them releasing a Lancaster as its just not their thing but nose sections of Lancasters, I think would sell really well. 

Its a vain hope, but just say if Meng did re box the WNW kits would that not be a good thing? 

43 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

If Meng did repop the WNW kits, sure, good thing. If the price point stays the same or even a bit lower, even better. If Meng raises the price, shame on them.

A valid concern. Meng stuff is fantastic, but their kits are a little on the pricier side.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

49 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

If Meng did repop the WNW kits, sure, good thing. If the price point stays the same or even a bit lower, even better. If Meng raises the price, shame on them.

That depends.  If WNWs was underpricing their kits because it was just a hobby for Peter Jackson, Meng might not feel the same way about it and expect the kit to make a profit.  In that case, I can see a price increase being justified.

I just wonder if the molds are in the final, ready to start production phase, or if they still have some minor tweaking to do, and if so, who’s going to do the tweaking?

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

A valid concern. Meng stuff is fantastic, but their kits are a little on the pricier side.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

A Meng Jagdpanther can be had for about $30-$35 on Ebay. Dragon's kit is at least double that now and doesn't even come with all the PE or decent tracks anymore. At least from my viewpoint, Meng is a pretty good deal for what you get.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, nmayhew said:

can someone please explain the faux pas with the engine box art?

It is a rotary engine, so if the prop is going round, the cylinders should be a blur... I bet the artist just traced over a CAD render, and not knowing much about WW1 aero engines,  painted what was on the render. He knew enough to blur the prop, but then my 5 year old granddaughter knows about aeroplane propellers..... Me, an influence?! Maybe, just a little.....

4 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hmmm...

I wonder if someone could open a WNW  kit or two and compare the sprue design to this kit (e.g., where the gate attaches to similar parts, size and thickness of the attachments, how very delicate parts are tooled). There are now close-up pictures of the Meng kit.   

Just a thought...

Rick

The sprues are identical.... Pics of both now easily found on the interweb for direct comparison. Identical....

Having read the feedback from former WNW staff members on FB and forums, it appears that the MENG kit is indeed the WNW kit. The story of "how" this happened is a bit convoluted - they explained it (or guessed it?) but I do not want to repeat it here because it may have other (possibly legal) implications. However, this leaves the issue of "what engine is in the box" unanswered. WNW (like others, i.e. Roden Tamiya, etc) use common engine parts across a number of kits. It stands to reason that the engine in this kit would have been the Le Rhone engine from the Camel kit. But that kit was made years ago and the engine moulds are in storage somewhere else, fully-owned by WNW and out of reach for Meng. So, the engine in the Meng kit is going to be a different item. They may design their own. They may purchase engines from Roden. We do not know, but we will find out when the time comes. 

Radu

Edited by Radub