1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

6 minutes ago, Basta said:

So the pads were important protection and the spacing doubtless was regularized so that several wings could be stacked together on supports without damage when they were being transported. 

The difference in spacing is due to a later production variant, Dr1s had wing failures which grounded them and Fokker had to reinforce and seal the wings. 

Ahh, stacking multiple wings makes sense, if only in the factory. Thank you

I need to dig out a drawing to see if the pad lines up with a part of the wing structure. It would make sense if it did

Richard

9 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Why do we care about who owns the molds? 

Its like caring who owns the engine castings for you car, Ford or Mitsubishi?

There is what appears to be a nice DR-1 announced by Meng with really lousy box art.  The rest really is irrelevant to the consumer.  

Just my opinion for good or bad. 

Ron

Price, quality, and availability.

Just like what happened when Fiat bought Chrysler. 

Of course it did. A very simple jig would ensure the consistency needed. The wings could be stacked and shipped, but vertically, like glass sheets, not flat like plywood. A wing could be salvaged from a wrecked plane and remounted on a different plane; one reason we see photos of planes with variations in markings or doping. (As in the Dr I)

15 hours ago, nichenson said:

If anyone followed along on what info was released, their 29 and 30 Ford roadster kits were held hostage and have just now been made available again. It was rumored that part of the mold was even destroyed.

Yes, I recall hearing that as well. One of those cars (I forget which) can command some seriously stupid prices right now, especially for a completely fenderless car model. This is, they say, due to no more kits ever being made from what are now destroyed molds.

6 hours ago, John1 said:

No...  the prop is rigidly fixed to the crankcase.   The only way you could have a rotary engine turn opposite to the prop would be pretty much rebuild the entire motor and add appropriate gearing.  

I stand corrected

41 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Hi all - sprue shots have been posted on HyperScale. 

Unfortunately nothing different that the photos posted yesterday on The Modeling News.

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/06/preview-meng-takes-mantle-with-new.html

Edited by Dave Williams

One of the reasons that kept me away from WnW kits for so long was the scale. I always believed that for fighters and two seaters, 1/24 was a much better choice. It is interesting to see that they were intending to go down that route with some designs. I wonder if ant of those will see the light of day.

Steve

On 6/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, Dave Williams said:

Wait.  A few pages ago, you said Well given its pretty widely known and acknowledged by the ex WW guys that Meng tooled the WW kits is this a surprise? and now you’re saying it was a tightly run ship and no one knew until last week when some guys outed it go FB?

Either it’s widely known or its new news to everyone.  Which is it?

Well your ignoring totally of timeframe and context is missing somewhat.
Years of silence then three guys coming out highlighting that Meng was doing there tooling in multiple places is widespread compared to complete silence which WW has had since day one.
The information about Meng being their tooling company has only come out over the last week but widely spread over multiple platforms starting on FB.

I'm more than happy to stand by exactly what i said, exactly.

WW was one of the tightest run air tight model companies on the planet, no leaks for years ever.

Your saying i cant say they where tightly run but the words of their ex employees spread on the worlds biggest social media platforms doesnt make it wide spread?

I say its widely known because its appearing all over facebook and then every modelling webpage on the net for over a week.

Your saying widely known implies its been known for a long period of time.

WW was one of the tightest companies in the modelling community.

Yes you can say both, different timeframes different contexts..