1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

51 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Ebay should see a flurry of Roden kit listings

The mere mention of WNW doing the Dr.I resulted in a flood of them on eBay many months ago. Thanks to those panic sellers saturating the market, I was able to pick up a couple of Roden kits for about $20 each (shipped). I'm all set on Dr.I kits now... ;) 

D

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Actually I was thinking Takom, another high quality Chinese kit manufacturer. Dare I be the first to say it? Takom Lanc out late 2020? If they owe on the Dr.1 molds, I doubt the Lanc molds are paid off. Makes me wonder if working with WNW gave some of these manufacturers experience in quality kit making. Both Meng and Takom have rather quickly started producing very high quality AFV kits nearly out of nowhere. They have quickly surpassed Trumpeter in quality.

Last time I said that, the main designer at Takom flat out denied doing any work for anyone else pretty quickly.  The styrene they use is very similar which is what led me say something.  Takom like WnW is also known for very tight tolerances which means their molds are well made and kept up nicely.  However, there are signs they don't do WnW like thier ejection pin marks.  Takom uses a higher pressure it seems as they often have raised portions.  They also use the super small gates on some parts that result in the small white nibs.  Haven't seen anything like that on any WnW kit. 

WNW was as tightly run if not more tightly run than Tamiya, no leaks, no back channels so its a bit if a surprise to see several guys no talking up about Meng being their tooling company over the last week on FB and its been more than one.

What nobody is saying how the business relationship worked just Meng tooled the WW kits.

iE WW do research send CADS to Meng who supply tooling etc and posses the tooling? Or maybe Its a co-operative venture and Meng have possession of tools and WW was simply the research/design house and shop front for a partnership deal.

Nobody is saying, nobody knows and i said weeks ago saying WW tooling would be sold was a big stretch as nobody knows who is in possession or even owns them.

Its just fantastic to see the DR-1 make it out as of all the WW kits other than the D7 this was the one i was most looking forward to.

39 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

WNW was as tightly run if not more tightly run than Tamiya, no leaks, no back channels so its a bit if a surprise to see several guys no talking up about Meng being their tooling company over the last week on FB and its been more than one.

What nobody is saying how the business relationship worked just Meng tooled the WW kits.

iE WW do research send CADS to Meng who supply tooling etc and posses the tooling? Or maybe Its a co-operative venture and Meng have possession of tools and WW was simply the research/design house and shop front for a partnership deal.

Nobody is saying, nobody knows and i said weeks ago saying WW tooling would be sold was a big stretch as nobody knows who is in possession or even owns them.

Its just fantastic to see the DR-1 make it out as of all the WW kits other than the D7 this was the one i was most looking forward to.

Wait.  A few pages ago, you said Well given its pretty widely known and acknowledged by the ex WW guys that Meng tooled the WW kits is this a surprise? and now you’re saying it was a tightly run ship and no one knew until last week when some guys outed it go FB?

Either it’s widely known or its new news to everyone.  Which is it?

Like I've already said, I'm just happy to be getting the opportunity to get a nice Dr.I kit and I hope between Meng and CSM they keep the trend going. WnW was nice while it lasted but it's time to move on. They are gone and we still have an abundance of nice kits to fill out stashes with and probably more on the way.

3 hours ago, nichenson said:

Last time I said that, the main designer at Takom flat out denied doing any work for anyone else pretty quickly.  The styrene they use is very similar which is what led me say something.  Takom like WnW is also known for very tight tolerances which means their molds are well made and kept up nicely.  However, there are signs they don't do WnW like thier ejection pin marks.  Takom uses a higher pressure it seems as they often have raised portions.  They also use the super small gates on some parts that result in the small white nibs.  Haven't seen anything like that on any WnW kit. 

It was just speculation on my part. It just seemed Takom kind of came out of nowhere. They had to be doing molds for someone to be that good that fast, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Ebay should see a flurry of Roden kit listings

I have two Roden kits, the Encore F.1 version and the standard version. I will probably keep the Encore one and sell the standard and get the Meng one eventually, just to see the difference. 

As far as who owns the molds, the ones talking say that WnWs owns the molds.  Now it gets super complicated but usually anything produced in China belongs either to the Chinese government or the workers.  The contracts may say that the designers own the molds, but as several companies have found out there are tons of loopholes and practices in China that say otherwise.  This is just as Revell found out a few years ago when they either were wanting to switch molding companies or there was a labor dispute.  If anyone followed along on what info was released, their 29 and 30 Ford roadster kits were held hostage and have just now been made available again. It was rumored that part of the mold was even destroyed.  I sincerely hope that whatever the deal was that WnW held both the patterns and trademarks on the molds and had a very good lawyer or two draft their agreements.

Why do we care about who owns the molds? 

Its like caring who owns the engine castings for you car, Ford or Mitsubishi?

There is what appears to be a nice DR-1 announced by Meng with really lousy box art.  The rest really is irrelevant to the consumer.  

Just my opinion for good or bad. 

Ron