1/32 Fokker Dr.I from Meng

barkhorn

7 minutes ago, 19squadron said:

I agree Radu, plus there are some awkward details on the "Meng" CAD - noticably the clumsy rib tape on the middle wing, which are mistakes Wingnut Wings would not make.

So two CAD images in and already a pile of cr#p and maybe heading towards unbuildable  :frantic:Dont forget the SE5.a and the mistakes they made on the lack of rib tapes on the tail plane so maybe it is from the WnW tooling :hmmm:

Regards. Andy 

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Bingo.

As was mentioned up top, weather it is or isn't, we'll likely find out soon enough. Either way, if its an accurate new tool DR.1, Im in. 

Me too. I'm still annoyed that after waiting ten years for it, WNW falls on its face just prior to releasing theirs. Perhaps this one will bridge the gap between the Rodent kit and the WNW version, assuming this is not the WNW kit.

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

exactly!

minimal rigging gets me interested

plus it was flown by the most famous pilot in history (I know nothing of whether he flew this variant? please educate me!)

and hopefully some non lozenge decal nonsense schemes

so i'll probably dip in for one!

As far as I'm aware, the Dr.I was never fitted with lozenge fabric to begin with, so that's no real worry.

29 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

So two CAD images in and already a pile of cr#p and maybe heading towards unbuildable  :frantic:Dont forget the SE5.a and the mistakes they made on the lack of rib tapes on the tail plane so maybe it is from the WnW tooling :hmmm:

Regards. Andy 

I think the Roden kit is excellent and exceedingly buildable, it just misses the research and fine detail that Wingnut Wings were so good at. You are right about the SE5a, in fact the Junkers J1 is the weakest of the WNW kits in my opinion - since cleartly WNW got better and better as time went by to reach the standard of their Dolphin and Camel.

All of which misses the point - which was since the Meng release appears to have clumsy rib tape on the main wings or at least the middle wing, it would seem reasonable to guess that it is their own design rather than a purloined or bought Wingnut Wings design.

Edited by 19squadron

8 hours ago, vince14 said:

I know people are going to speculate that this is the WNW kit, but I very much doubt it is. The CAD looks different to the WNW test models we've seen, so it looks like 100% Meng.

I take the exactly opposite position.  This almost has to be the WNW kit; Meng did the tooling for the WNW project.  The WNW project has been announced for a while now.   No way Meng was going to venture into WNW's territory with their own project.

The Meng kit is "available soon."  Not enough time for them to do their own project independent of WNW, post WNW closure.  

Taken from the Meng Facebook page:  "We know that you have been waiting for a carefully studied large scale Fokker Dr.I model kit with precise details for a long time."

That's their reference to the WNW project IMO.

They must have copied it off the WNW site.  This one has the flare pistol next to the cockpit.

It also says on the box 'This is not a toy',  so it must be good.

May just have to get me one.

41 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

No way Meng was going to venture into WNW's territory with their own project.

The Dr.1 was NOT "WNW territory". For almost a decade the "WNW experts" told us that "WNW will never do a Dr.1". It was taken as "Gospel". The WNW Dr.1 was only announced 10 months ago. I can tell you as a designer that this model was started a while before WNW revealed their Dr.1. MENG probably put it on the backburner when WNW announced theirs. Now that the same "WNW experts" tell us that "WNW is gone", they decided that it is a good time to revive it. 

I am still waiting for proof that MENG did the tooling for WNW. Apparently "WNW staff said it". Where? To whom? 

Radu

Edited by Radub

59 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I take the exactly opposite position.  This almost has to be the WNW kit; Meng did the tooling for the WNW project.  The WNW project has been announced for a while now.   No way Meng was going to venture into WNW's territory with their own project.

Why not? - Meng's product line is pretty haphazard.

Seriously, why does it matter in any way, shape, or form whether this is based on the WNW tooling, or something that Meng came up with independently?  You’ll get in the box what you get in the box.  If it’s not WNW’s tooling, what will people do?  Not buy the kit in the hope that someday, somehow WNW’s mythical tooling will eventually be released?  What’s the endgame with this speculation?

Edited by Dave Williams

I will repeat what was said earlier, I really don't care where the tooling came from as long as it is a well researched and accurate model in the box. Just very glad Meng have done this, and lets hope sales encourage them to do more. Regards, Pete in RI.

29 minutes ago, Radub said:

The Dr.1 was NOT "WNW territory". For almost a decade the "WNW experts" told us that "WNW will never do a Dr.1". It was taken as "Gospel". The WNW Dr.1 was only announced 10 months ago. I can tell you as a designer that this model was started a while before WNW revealed their Dr.1. MENG probably put it on the backburner when WNW announced theirs. Now that the same "WNW experts" tell us that "WNW is gone", they decided that it is a good time to revive it. 

I am still waiting for proof that MENG did the tooling for WNW. Apparently "WNW staff said it". Where? To whom? 

Radu

I doubt we will ever see a copy of a contract between WNW and Meng.  We will have to look at what evidence we can get whether such a relationship existed.  For me, I am happy to see this released.   Once we see the sprue trees, we will be able to compare to the sprue shots WNW showed and have a pretty good idea if it is the same kit.  So we shall see.  Just good news that this kit is coming.

Oh dear, the Meng kit already has insurmountable problems.

Better stick to the Mirage 2000, F-100F Hun and MiG-29UB instead then. 

And that Meng Lancaster is all wrong: the blunderbuss have incorrect woodgrain and tape in the wrong place. Totally unbuildable.

Tony