T-28 Trojan Kitty Hawk 1/32

FreightDog

This is a sort of dual build. I have the B/D version, which I intend to do with magic scale modelling motor/light & sound, and depending on how the sound board is programmed I may do in flight or on the ground starting up. I love this aircraft so I also have the C version incoming although I ordered it from China 6 weeks ago and I’m still waiting. The C will be static with all the panels open exposing the lovely detailed kit engine with the Airies cockpit which I’ve also started work on. In hindsight the kit cockpit is detailed enough that I didn’t need it. I’ve started the B/D and the crew which are from Aero Bonus and are nice but not a patch on the Master Details figures I’m using in my B-17 build.

I’m mostly ready to put the B/D together but I’m still waiting for my light & sound kit to come from Belgium. I ordered it 5 weeks ago and they’re not answering my messages... hopefully they are still trading!

Anyway state of play as of now. When/if the C and the electronics arrive, this should go together quite fast. Threading the PE airies seatbelts took me nearly a whole day. I do not like PE but they should look ok on the seat. Test fitting of crew into kit ‘pit & fuse join looking good. Engine will be covered up on this one but I assembled it & basic paint just so I know what pitfalls to expect on the C. Quite a good kit so far, Kitty Hawk used to scare me but I think they’re getting quite tasty now.

I6Jj343.jpg

4mr1wdc.jpg

MoGvuyG.jpg

2PLZi5d.jpg

2fDc7IH.jpg

• 5 months later...

Long gap due to losing motivation, but last couple of weeks have seen progress with the motorised B & the static C. What I’ve learned is a) I forgot I was doing a build thread so omitted some pics of stages b) this kit in places I found serious fit issues mainly around the cowls. It was all looking so good with the fuse fitting even with the aires pit but if this is the state of the Kitty Hawk art then it must be me! Anyway, some photos:

here’s the B with a dry run of the electrics before sealing it up:

ThsqPBx.jpg

then sealed:

HdLCQR8.jpg

and here’s both side by side sealed up ready for priming. 
5mkeXxd.jpg

Nice work. My D model has been stalled for quite some time, also due to the atrocious cowing fit. Some folks out there had no trouble with it, but others have had nightmares like I have. Interesting part was everything seemed to line up on the test fit, but went haywire when it came to gluing it up. 

Loving the Work so far. Keep the updates coming!

THOR    :ph34r:

3 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Nice work. My D model has been stalled for quite some time, also due to the atrocious cowing fit. Some folks out there had no trouble with it, but others have had nightmares like I have. Interesting part was everything seemed to line up on the test fit, but went haywire when it came to gluing it up.

Thanks Thor! I don’t know what happened with the cowls. I nearly abandoned trying to close them up on the B but managed to just with a lot of filler. Wanted the C closed up as well but it was even worse so I’ll have one cowl open.

Here’s the C primed & pre-shaded. Going for a more used look on it and am going with the trainer yellow.

rtqFqdA.jpg

Looks great so far!

It's the engine + the bearers + horrible instructions. The very nature of the way the engine bearers are put on in the kit and the way the instructions tell you to put them on, leads to misalignment virtually every time.

I totally disregarded the instructions and did things a bit out of order, but needless to say, ifs far too easy to get things misaligned up front.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

It's the engine + the bearers + horrible instructions. The very nature of the way the engine bearers are put on in the kit and the way the instructions tell you to put them on, leads to misalignment virtually every time.

Agree 100%. Everything else is lovely, very nice moulding & detail but the implementation of the design means you need to be lucky building this kit. And there’s me with 2 of them !!!

2 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Agree 100%. Everything else is lovely, very nice moulding & detail but the implementation of the design means you need to be lucky building this kit. And there’s me with 2 of them !!!

That was my observation as well. Would be nice if they made a Hasegawa style insert you could glue to the firewall if you were building the kit with the cowling closed. I just filled my cowling the other night, using epoxy putty. I followed that with a couple of coats of Mr. Surfacer 500, which I will sand back this weekend. Then the painful progress of starting the rescribe. 

Loving the work on your pair of Trojans. Seems like I am getting the bug to work on mine some more!

THOR    :ph34r:

Edited by bdthoresen

Decals on, another coat of gloss for a panel wash & hopefully exhaust staining tomorrow. Couple of tiny control surface bits to glue on the that’ll be the B done. Despite steel bb’s filling the cowls & nose wheel bay (muppet forgot the included weights), she’s a tail sitter. Must be the moment of all the electronics jammed into the rear fuse. Oh well.

pbGv65n.jpg