HK Models 1/32 B-17G

FreightDog

Looks fantastic! Thanks for posting the clip with the sound and lights working. After running lighting in my C build and trying to hide circuit boards I know exactly what you are talking about..... I had to make lots of tiny styrene "wire guides" and glue them in various positions to get the wires to run the way I wanted them. I'm sure you've learnt a lot from the experience!

Good on you for persisting with it. The results are definitely worth the effort! 

Any thoughts on where/how you'll hide the battery pack? Will there be a base board with it hidden underneath?

Great work!

Craig

5 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Thanks, but for my skills there’s not enough room. Each wire is a sentient intelligent creature, and no matter how you have left them they will wrap around each other in fiendish and evil knots the second your back is turned.  This is what she sounds like. I think I’ve got the dreaded feedback problem with whining audible before the 1st engine start. Oh well. I’m not taking her apart again now...

That’s not feedback, that’s the inertial starter winding up...

22 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Looks fantastic! Thanks for posting the clip with the sound and lights working. After running lighting in my C build and trying to hide circuit boards I know exactly what you are talking about..... I had to make lots of tiny styrene "wire guides" and glue them in various positions to get the wires to run the way I wanted them. I'm sure you've learnt a lot from the experience!

Good on you for persisting with it. The results are definitely worth the effort! 

Any thoughts on where/how you'll hide the battery pack? Will there be a base board with it hidden underneath?

Great work!

Craig

Thanks Craig. No wire guides here- it’s pure 100% spaghetti. At present the leads come out the tail wheel. No plans for a base - no room! Trying to talk the wife into the wall mount otherwise I’ll probably have to sell it.

Update, it’s now fully sealed up and ready for painting. Most parts now attached except exhausts which need to be painted separately. I think I might leave the top section loose and removable as is an option. Had to make a couple of tabs for the rear to help it bed flush. I’ll see how it looks painted- the large scale will help me. I’ve had an attempt at making the front half of the nose removable too, not sure if it’ll work but took a few pics of it for posterity in case I have to seal it. Couple of maps ordered from Aus help with a bit of atmosphere.

Not sure everyone would do it the way I have with many MG barrels attached, undercarriage etc but it’s just the ways it fell for me.

tF8Izyw.jpg

xwmOhVN.jpg

pUNyFEe.jpg

hPQES3p.jpg

pZPr4hA.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

That interior looks fantastic - great job!

Thanks Alex. Quickly realised there were grey plastic “lenses” for the landing lights, so did a quick job on them; drilled out the centre for the led to go through, paint with a silver pen, and hey presto. Looks ok to me. By the way the dark what look like exposed seams are actually dried black superglue - at least I hope!

before:

8vFka6E.jpg

Drill

8uT7Awf.jpg

Paint silver & fit

IY945a5.jpg

landing light

2LItpmL.jpg

Bomb bay doors. I know the rest of the bomb bay is aluminium but I’ve gone interior green for interest against the ally scheme I’ll be doing (artistic license). First time using the Vallejo chipping medium, it was quite hard to work with in between those recessed panels but I think it’ll do.

oCkOc39.jpg

Painting & weathering. The coating of Alclad black primer & micro filler followed by all over gloss black. lost count of how many bottles I used

mdezwqm.jpg

Alclad airframe aluminium then coated in aqua gloss then a few different panels with dark aluminium & duraluminum. Note, crime scene investigators might like to coat their murder scenes with Alclad, since it will reveal every single touch of every finger, smudge, of contact with any surface or substance forensically and without mercy, regardless of how well you think you covered up your “crime”. Given a good rub down with micro mesh when cured.

P9WX7n0.jpg

Cowlings, painted white over aluminium & Alclad chipping medium then giving some wear & tear

goA5hoi.jpg

Ditto the wing stripes. I really like this chipping stuff.

OSP09U3.jpg

Left wing. Probably gives away the scheme I’m going for which is a cliche I know but I just love it. Should have probably got some Montez masks but thought I’d try something with the decal. Microsol’d then attacked with some masking tape then a sander, and looking at my reference pics I’m quite happy with the result

y0LZ8uT.jpg

Just waiting for the postman to bring me my yellow so I can finish the main scheme, then it’s going to be weathered like nothing I’ve ever done before. Gulp.

All done now afaic. A few pics on RFI: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/89442-b-17g-“a-bit-o’lace”/&tab=comments#comment-1281664

Sorry I skipped the last few steps of weathering etc but I was making it up as I went along and was all done before I expected!