HK Models 1/32 B-17G

FreightDog

Small progress, tackled the wooden parts of the interior which isn’t something I’d done before and I wasn’t looking forward to it. I bought some of the lovely looking uschi wooden interior decals, but was put off using them by the precision I reckoned I’d need in cutting trimming and settling them so I tried doing it myself and I’m quite pleased how it turned out. I used the method of tamiya deck tan topped with varnish then burnt sienna and raw umber streaked over the top and worked till I was happy. I’ve left quite a lot on and hopefully it will dry at some e point so I can continue

9rvHZns.jpg

Srrw7cW.jpg

I hate to stir  up the hornets nest but, war time G models did not have  painted interiors.

The cockpit had blanket insulation on the ceiling and sides and rear bulkhead was painted. 

The rest of the interior was unpainted aluminum with wood floors, which look great by the way.

Most reference books are restorations and therefore are painted to protect it from corrosion.

They were built in a hurry and were not expected to last more then a year, so why add the time and weight.

i  didn't now this until I started building mine 5 years ago (Not finished)l with a  full crew in flight.

There are numerous photos on the web and I'm sure there will but some more who can give you 

more information. I'll share mine if I can find it.

Crew looking good. They would be going thru the Pre-start Check list, so they would be looking around for switch's,

levers and gauges. 

Have fun 

jack

17 hours ago, marauderdriver said:

I hate to stir  up the hornets nest but, war time G models did not have  painted interiors.

The cockpit had blanket insulation on the ceiling and sides and rear bulkhead was painted. 

The rest of the interior was unpainted aluminum with wood floors, which look great by the way.

Most reference books are restorations and therefore are painted to protect it from corrosion.

They were built in a hurry and were not expected to last more then a year, so why add the time and weight.

i  didn't now this until I started building mine 5 years ago (Not finished)l with a  full crew in flight.

There are numerous photos on the web and I'm sure there will but some more who can give you 

more information. I'll share mine if I can find it.

Crew looking good. They would be going thru the Pre-start Check list, so they would be looking around for switch's,

levers and gauges. 

Have fun 

jack

haha thanks oh dear! Never mind as it’s taken me so many hours just to get this far I’m not going to go back and redo it now. I’ve never been too hung up on historical accuracy anyway. In my mind it’ll be a “what if” job. To be fair most of the attractive decal schemes available in nmf for the G are for the air show birds anyway... but then there’s the problem of my crew dressed in wartime uniforms, so I can’t win on this one

So with regards to vallejo air paints... I too have amassed quite a few of these paints, and initially had the same problem, now I spray them at 15 to 18 psi with thinning to about 50%.

The key is the thinner. I have used Mig's thinner, it is quite expensive but worth it. HOWEVER, i just learned yesterday how to make the same mix with Vallejo's own mixes. These items are available from Amazon for not too much coin.

The trick is to mix a 17ml bottle (eyedropper bottle like Vallejo uses, can be purchased where you get paints I suppose) with 50% thinner, 50% flow improver, then add 10 drops of Vallejo's goopy retarder, then shake the devils out of the bottle. then add thinner to airbrush, then paint to about 50/50 and mix. this lubes the needle and allows the perfect mixing. I had been using a different mix, but got a large bottle of flow-improver from Amazon, and thinner (both Vallejo brand), and will be using this mix going forward. it makes the paint almost perfect. Also, make sure to prime if you are going to be handling any area with paint.

Cheers

Harald

On 7/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, FreightDog said:

haha thanks oh dear! Never mind as it’s taken me so many hours just to get this far I’m not going to go back and redo it now. I’ve never been too hung up on historical accuracy anyway. In my mind it’ll be a “what if” job. To be fair most of the attractive decal schemes available in nmf for the G are for the air show birds anyway... but then there’s the problem of my crew dressed in wartime uniforms, so I can’t win on this one

That's the great thing about this hobby, "Build it anyway YOU want. I'm not a rivet counter myself, and until I started mine in 2013 as my first LSP build, was 

going to prime my interior. It was brought to my attention that they were not, with pictures and Tech Orders. It allowed me to change before I started. 

I only bring it up as an informational note to who, like me, wasn't aware of this. 

You can always say it's a re-enactment for the crew.

MODEL ON Sir!

jack

• 9 months later...

I paused this job as I wasn’t sure where I’d put it when done. I’m still not, but it’s been calling me from under my desk for months, so it’s back on again. Work has included fitting the Magic scale Modelling motors and continuation of the interior. Lots and lots of complex sub assemblies for turrets etc and an investigative dry fit to check for any howlers. Can’t see any so far but it’s fairly standard for me that everything looks like it’ll fall together dry but the second I introduce the substance “glue” all the parts whisper to each other to simultaneously change shape such that nothing fits any more! Anyway lots of more detailing, weathering/correcting  needed for the insides but I’m happy I can see now what will be visible & worth going overboard on.

someone on a previous post pointed out the insides of later model B17s were unpainted. I thought I wasn’t bothered at the time but I think a lighter inside will make the interior more visible so I’ve resprayed it aluminium.

I had my heart set on the aluminium D-Day Doll scheme but I can’t get hold of the Zotz discontinued decals anywhere. I don’t like any of the available aluminium schemes so I’m going with an OD bird, which I intend to look very shabby.

If this was going to be a static build I’d be thinking 60% done now, but I’ve got all the wiring to do! Thankfully MSM have done their best instructions so far on this, so I’m not going to have to work it all out myself like I did on the B-25!

ses2SMj.jpg

voLBEGW.jpg

HViAn7T.jpg

QrcAX23.jpg

9MAVDQb.jpg

T1T2Ig3.jpg

dBhwk9b.jpg

1X2A2ka.jpg

Edited by FreightDog

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the electrics installed in such a way as I was able to “commit” joining the wing quarters/halves to their respective fuselage halves. Each section’s wiring was by necessity connected through to each other simultaneously while separated before trying to mate. No glue used yet, I’ll seal it up next. The MSM electric installation was a BIG battle I have to admit. It is all so easy in concept, and their instructional guides make perfect sense. I had a plan (based on their suggestions) to route the wires such that it would all be invisible. I failed, and I’ve pretty much sacrificed the rear fuselage to a mass of random jumbled cables. Sacrificed the lighting for the waist & tail gunners; there’s just no room. Had to do surgery to the kit on the fly after my carefully done modifications when the parts were separate. The cabling is just too thick and unmalleable for my skills. It was also recommended to cable in such a way as to be able to remove the wings and disconnect/re-connect for transport or storage. This is beyond either my skills or patience or both. It’s cabled for ever now &  those wings ain’t coming off. No project has given me as much stress as this, and I lost count of the moments I was tempted to just rip it all out and build it as a static model. Anyway, about 8hrs of utterly frustrating intense combat with it today, today and I think it’s going to work. Pictures tell a better story so behold the chaos in case anyone wants a case study in bodged electronics - you really need 18 hands with needle fingertips to work with this stuff.

XT3c0ig.jpg

T1oQAxI.jpg

9bai5Zn.jpg

MUzLd8w.jpg

kGToa8X.jpg

xL5LycJ.jpg

5Nw79Hi.jpg

3odoC3o.jpg

PntXT3l.jpg

2d1w4Cn.jpg

so there it is, the lights motors & sounds fitted & working. Should be relatively fast now, as I’m ready to go with the last few detailed parts so with a bit of luck painting by next weekend. 

Edited by FreightDog

23 minutes ago, themongoose said:

Oh wow that’s looking great. Bet you’re glad of the room in that baby after laying out all the wiring! I’m going to have to go pull up a sound clip of this now

Thanks, but for my skills there’s not enough room. Each wire is a sentient intelligent creature, and no matter how you have left them they will wrap around each other in fiendish and evil knots the second your back is turned.  This is what she sounds like. I think I’ve got the dreaded feedback problem with whining audible before the 1st engine start. Oh well. I’m not taking her apart again now...