HK Models 1/32 B-17G

FreightDog

Hello, this will be my first build thread. I'm having a go at this monster, having really enjoyed their B-25J which I did with Magic Scale Modelling light sound & motion, and which I also intend to use with this when they release the kit. For extras I could go on forever, but for the time being I've sourced some crew, chin/tail turret gun zipper covers, metal MG barrels and some maps. placards on the way and probably more as I go. I haven't made a decision on decal/colour scheme yet but it definitely won't be the kit scheme. Still agonising over nmf vs OD, but the decals available for nmf don't tickle me much except D-Day Doll, which is an old out of production Zotz scheme which I no longer exists on planet earth.

Go gentle on me; this isn't my first rodeo, but no way can I match the skills of most people on here!

czeLMj7.jpg

First bit of work done then, the absolutely amazing Master Details figures. I've never seen anything quite so detailed, but then doing figures is a new thing for me. They aren't cheap at CAD33 each plus postage, but they come with 2 heads and 2 torsos; one for with O2 mask and one without. In a way its a crying shame as only an extra pair of arms and legs and I could almost crew the whole aircraft!  Downside was the attachment points for the heads which made them quite precarious to fit.  No poseability, they are sat in a fixed position, so I was keen to put together the cockpit to see if they would not only touch/hold the columns they're posed with, but would they even fit at all. Answer was no! They were almost bent over forward in the seat, and knees so high I couldn't mount the control columns. Had to bend them back at the waist and fill with superglue/pva, and send off most of their heels to get them in.  I'm not sure my skills are going to be up to getting them to grip/hold where they should, and even if I could, the columns would be in different positions, which would be impossible. I'm hoping by the time they're fully inside it won't be too noticeable, and in any case they will be in a "startup" pose rather than flying so not the end of the world if they're not fully hands on.

Figures were primed grey then the whites of the harnesses airbrushed, as if I'd have done it the other way it would have needed 80 coats of while over the darker shades. Everything else then painted around them.  I've watched hundreds of tutorials on figure face painting, I've got the right equipment, but each try looked worse than a dark wash over plain flesh so I kept doing back to that. Gave the bodies a wash of thinned tamiya smoke. O2 masks and hose to be attached when cockpit ready.

One thing I'm wondering; do I still need seat harnesses over their shoulders? I assume they're just wearing their 'chutes at the mo. The thought of bending PE over them scares me. Maybe I need the HGW fabric belts, or maybe I won't bother... hmm

So, close up my poor skills show, but I think inside the cockpit behind the glass they'll do the job.  Cockpit painting next.

vKB5T3C.jpg

QGIY09i.jpg

XFt3h0V.jpg

Looks great!  We're always our own worst critics btw, and I think they'll look the part once everything is buttoned up. As for belts, I may be wrong, but if memory serves the bomber seats only had lap belts. Over to you if that juice is worth the squeeze and if it'd even be visible. Also, when I do any of the straps, I used foil. In the good old days it was the lead foil around champagne bottles. It's no longer lead, but just as malleable. Makes it easy to drape over contours etc. A lot easier than dealing w/ PE in my humble opinion. Just my .02 worth and thanks for sharing!

-Peter

Thanks for the positive words and tips chaps.  Not sure how often to post updates, but my work has me away from home every other week, and from the stares from my wife my unbroken stint of production may be about to pause, so here's as far as I've got. Airscale placards arrived. These should add some interest to the inside as I can't be bothered with eduard etc on this one:

Wvw3MbY.jpg

Bit of a saga re paint.  I had purchased a whole load of Vallejo model air a while back, as i had heard good things about it. I very quickly renamed it "wont-sprejjjo" as it would not spray from my trusty old Iwata, regardless of how much it was shaken, stirred, thinned etc. Thought it must just be my airbrush being picky.  I've just had to change airbrush as the Iwata died beyond repair, and got a nice H&S, so I thought I'd try the Vallejo again, as I really like their interior green.  No. The only way this substance will spray is at a million psi at max aperture and thinned to 0.001%. So it's all going in the bin, and I'm going to try some AK on another kit I've got going.  Now I have to either homebrew the same shade from my Tamiya supplies, or try and see if AK or someone else so a close match. Anyway, interiors all sprayed now, with rough black boxes airbrushed also, to be neatened when I've got the colour licked.  Cockpit rough painted. Detail to be painted next, though I should have done it before glueing the seats etc together, I was in too much of a rush to see if the figures would fit and how much work that would entail.  Had another go at trying to be clever with the faces, think they look worse but I'm going to leave them alone now before I completely ruin them! May try one last dark brown wash once these are dried out, that seems to be the most flattering technique to hide sins. 

HrZALLZ.jpg

Hey Freightdog your project is looking good! 
if I could offer anything, I’d suggest trying a test fit with the flight deck side panels to the assembly you have built so far, I had issues with my crew’s elbows and knees not fitting very well on mine.

keep up the work, it’s inspiring me to maybe get back to my project...or live it vicariously through yours.

1 hour ago, chrish said:

Hey Freightdog your project is looking good! 
if I could offer anything, I’d suggest trying a test fit with the flight deck side panels to the assembly you have built so far, I had issues with my crew’s elbows and knees not fitting very well on mine.

keep up the work, it’s inspiring me to maybe get back to my project...or live it vicariously through yours.

Thank you Chrish. My hear sank when I read the above about the fit though... I've had a quick dry fit, and I think I've got away with it, although Cap it forced to lean right...maybe he's checking something on the centre panel or something lol

t1LONPZ.jpg

Great work thus far.

I had a similar issue with the flight crew I had to cant mine over as well in order to get a good fit,

Another fit you might want to check is that of the bomb aimer. When I did mine, he was quite a tight squeeze into the front compartment filling the window. 

50016557206_589a16c4c9_b.jpg

Also dont  bother with a figure in the ball turret. I did, wish i hadnt! 

35 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Great work thus far.

I had a similar issue with the flight crew I had to cant mine over as well in order to get a good fit,

Another fit you might want to check is that of the bomb aimer. When I did mine, he was quite a tight squeeze into the front compartment filling the window.

Now yours looks just the inspiration I need!! Do you have a link to more pics or did you do a wip?  I’m only doing the 3 figures, my 3rd guy is a navigator but I might stick him in the front depending on fit. My plan is to have it on the ground in an engine start scenario so I’m not sure where all the guys would be hanging out at that time anyway. Shame I’ll have to have the bomb doors open though as I’m planning to use the wall mount to store the thing.

Bit more progress on the flight deck but not a lot. My first experiment with oil wash, as I’ve yet to find a commercial wash that isn’t gritty and doesn’t soak into even seemingly flat glossed surfaces. I diluted it with turps which I’d read somewhere but it reacted with the dried klear I’d covered it with and gave me orange peel. Caused me a lot of pain to remedy then repaint to tone it down. That’ll be a dead end on the washes then.

Next job is to have a go at the wood effect for the floors, I’m following someone’s technique of tamiya deck tan with dry brushed oils over the top. What could go wrong?

piqKATp.jpg

p0xp3AT.jpg

ZTyxGiC.jpg

Bombs primed for the yellow stripe
a2h8aCY.jpg

instrument panel will be quite late on as I’ll need the lighting kit. The wiring from that will blend in with the wires poking out the back of the gauges. More detail painting and placards to go on too. I think 90% of this kit is the interior!