De Havilland DH 89 Dragon Rapide (OY-DIN) Lukgraph

kkarlsen

50 minutes ago, quang said:

Yet on most civilian Rapides, the seats had the characteristic, elegant sunrise design regardless of the livery. It would not be unusual that these seats were designed especially for the DH.89.
IMO it’s well worth replacing the lumpy kit seats by new scratch-built ones as the main focal point of the completed model would be precisely the interior of the cabin.

If I remember correctly, even the ancient vacform 1/48 Dragon Rapide from Aeroclub had the correct sunrise upholstery design.

Cheers,

Quang

Indeed Quang. You're right. Whatever was the color, the sunrise was present.

Yeah Thierry! Notice how the sunrise motif is repeated on the back panel of the cabin. So many details can be added to make the interior a very tasty feature of the model.

The Dragon Rapide happened smack dab in the Art Deco period: geometric abstract shapes and subdued colours. Think the decor in the Poirot TV series with David Suchet. Nothing but coolsville!

Hell, talking about it makes me want to go and get one of these Lukgraph kits myself :innocent:

Edited by quang

Glad to see you getting into this kit..have been pondering if I should pull the trigger on one(probably will on what can be seen)..really like this aircraft

mostly for the myriad amount of colour schemes it was finished in....Will be watching and following along.

Cheers.

Edited by williamj

Thanks Max. It's been at that status for about a week, so I'll start expecting it around early July.

Kent's build and attentions looks like they'll help plug some gaps in my understanding of the aircraft in the meantime.

11 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

JI6MUSi.jpg

I think maybe the roof hatch is a bit off?

vDsMuwR.jpg

Location of wing spars and roof hatch...

Cheers: Kent

Definitely a mistake. No way they would put a hatch through a roof structural member. Looks like a nice kit, but you have some work ahead of you on the interior! Wonder if the interior (and window layout) was based on military versions?

You’ve got a point Chek. :clap2:It’s the Royal Flight and bore the Prince of Wales emblem.
My memories are vague but I used to research the Rapide when I started the Aeroclub 1/48 kit some 20 years ago. I never finished it and sold it when I stopped aircraft modelling to turn to sculpting figures :BANGHEAD2:

I’m regretting it ever since.

17 minutes ago, mozart said:

Whoever it belongs to, it’s pretty lurid, especially if you’re feeling a bit queasy! :(

Lurid, Max? I always had a soft spot for the red and blue scheme. It reminds me of the A&AEE flight of Boscombe Down in the 1980s. 

I don't do resin myself, but it's a pleasure to see a WIP come together.

MrsC and I had a trip with Classic Wings at Duxford a couple of years ago, here are a couple of photos from that, one of which shows yet another interior.  It was taken from my seat, the door was on my left.  

IMG-5140e.jpg

IMG-5151e.jpg

Edited by MikeC