De Havilland DH 89 Dragon Rapide (OY-DIN) Lukgraph

kkarlsen

So, although I'm already busy on a handful of projects, I think I need to start this one too...

It's just not very often one of your top three dream kits suddenly appears out of the blue (Thank you Lukgraph)

IawWuBu.jpg

Subject: 'Provinsluftfartselskabets' DH 89 OY-DIN - It flew the route Aalborg - Hamburg via Gl. Rye & Esbjerg. (Original color photograph - Esbjerg Airport ca. 1938.)

YisQF9q.jpg

OlqBPWS.jpg

EWZ-59gUwAAgsxz.jpg:large

XKoZf9Q.jpg

I've only done one resin kit before (HPH Catalina) so I don't really have any issues working with resin. Well most of my builds involve some kind of scratched parts anyway.

What I havent tried before are 3d printed parts, so anything I have to be aware of, before preparing the printed parts?

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

So, build already stalled, what color would the seats have been?

r3IiVYK.jpg

The instructions call for a 'leather' color for the seat cuchions, I'm thinking if there was a De Havilland standard color for the seats?

Would planes have had customised colors for the interior and passenger seats? I'm tempted to do them in a blue color, what do you think?

Will be following as well, as this kit is on my must have list (will order it next batch).

Regarding the seats, might be worth having a little search as to what leather dyes were available at the time.  I seem to recall lots of leather furniture was a dark brown, but that might have been different for transport uses.

12 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Will be following as well, as this kit is on my must have list (will order it next batch).

Regarding the seats, might be worth having a little search as to what leather dyes were available at the time.  I seem to recall lots of leather furniture was a dark brown, but that might have been different for transport uses.

I think transport generally used Rexine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexine

Richard

This is the oldest photo I've been able to get at:

alYokWa.jpg

Airline Standard. Courtesy De Havilland BAe Hatfield

Notice the different seats in the back... (BTW: No seatbelts?)

GQhIeIm.jpg

Airline Luxury. Courtesy De Havilland BAe Hatfield

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

The photo Lukasz provided of the seats inside of the 'Scottish' DH 89 is maybe closer to the answer to the color question...

26.8.1974.jpg?timestamp=1377495595693

This is the 'Scottish' DH 89 G-AGJG before restoration, around 1974... Blue?

So unless someone has photographic proof of a different seat color in the original

DH 89's I think I will go with the light grey/black of the photo Lukasz supplied?

104186024_2853588738238107_6265477947233

Edited by kkarlsen

I saw one with red seats and another one with dark brown ones! However, it is quite possible their seat leather was not the original one.

Nonetheless, we should not forget civilian planes upholstery was still far from being standard during the thirties. They were still build as luxury cars and it was not uncommon to ask the future owner what he wanted regarding such items!

Yet on most civilian Rapides, the seats had the characteristic, elegant sunrise design regardless of the livery. It would not be unusual that these seats were designed especially for the DH.89.
IMO it’s well worth replacing the lumpy kit seats by new scratch-built ones as the main focal point of the completed model would be precisely the interior of the cabin.

If I remember correctly, even the ancient vacform 1/48 Dragon Rapide from Aeroclub had the correct sunrise upholstery design.

Cheers,

Quang

Been doing a little research on the civilian version to get my bearings...

DIChmDY.jpg

3wZvA1b.jpg

JI6MUSi.jpg

I think maybe the roof hatch is a bit off?

vDsMuwR.jpg

Location of wing spars and roof hatch...

UeOhIX3.jpg

Another find, nice photo of the crew?

Edited by kkarlsen