1:32 Revell Me 262 b-1/u-1

PeterOlsen

Hi folks,  here is my WIP of the Revell Me262 night fighter. The cockpit is pretty much straight from the box except for some items which I took from the Eduard photo etch interior set. These included the instrument panel, ruder pedals and circuit breaker switches on the right side of the cockpit. I also cut some of the placards and instrument dials from the kit decal sheet to enhance things a little. I actually think the detail offered in the kit cockpit is quite good.

I used Gunze Acrylic RLM 66 for the base colour........ actually  I have a bottle of RLM 66 which I`ve been using for a while now which I think was a RLM 75 mislabelled. It could have been the bottle I used on this project but I`m not certain. Anyway, it looks close enough in this case I think. Testors aluminium plate metalizer was used as a base coat first for paint chips and scratches and small details were pick out using Vallejo acrylics. There`s an oil wash and  some small areas of dry brushing on there as well.

Anyway, onto the pics...............

etWtMrf.jpg

i4Itc32.jpg

J6fsm0N.jpg

Edited by PeterOlsen

Oh,I forgot to mention..... I still have to make the seat belts for which I`ll be using the HGW set, I really love these ! Fiddly but really worth the extra effort. The seat in the pics above is just sitting there loosely in the cockpit as I haven't cemented it yet.

Below you can see a pic of the Eduard P.E panel which I used instead of the kit part. I put a  grey wash over it to tone down and blend in that pixelated look that comes on the coloured P.E panel but it's still showing up a bit in this closeup shot. I also painted some Future onto the dial lenses after spraying a flat coat.

L2gXsh9.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PeterOlsen

I was really happy with the way the cockpit turned out but shortly after that things started to go downhill. However, that being said things are starting to come back on track now.

The first symptoms of trouble started when I begun gluing the cockpit parts together.. The glue I used didn't react well with the plastic even after I had scrapped paint away from the contact areas. Due to this some of the parts were just slightly out of alignment when I attached them to the internal fuselage bulkheads. The forward bulkhead (which is also part of the undercarriage) did not fit well into the two fuselage halves. Sadly, this in turn seemed to hinder the  wing to fuselage fit which in its own  right is probably the worst aspect of the kit so far.  And yes I tested the wing to fuselage fit several times in vain before I even glued in the cockpit/wheel bay bulk heads.

These problems threw me off so badly that I even pulled out the A-1a fighter version of this kit from the stash to see where I had gone wrong. After cleaning up  the main parts and dry fitting them with tape  I was a little disappointed to find similar fit issues.  

Now, all that being said  don`t get me wrong I really like certain aspects of this kit and I think it has a lot of potential. And what a fantastic subject ! Unfortunately you will  just have to put in some skill and effort to deal with some of the problems it throws at you if you intend to build it to a high standard. So it`s not really a kit for the beginner or for the faint of heart........or for those of you like myself with profanity problems. :)

Below is a picture of the cockpit bulkhead. I wasn`t happy with my paint and weather job on this but it didn't matter as very little of it can be seen once installed. Coincidently I ended  up chopping large parts of the base off  just to get the wings to fit !

zqJCcB8.jpg

And here is the rear wheel bay bulkhead. The fit was a little tight but not as bad as the cockpit bulkhead. This part also received cutting and sanding modification to help it fit.

EeZgHZ3.jpg

Ok I`ll leave you with that for now, thanks for listening,

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PeterOlsen

Peter, for the benefit of future sufferers, is it possible to show the difference between the parts as supplied and what you have had to cut off?

I'm thinking as you have two kits it might be possible to show original and modified parts together

Richard

Thankyou  everyone for your coments 

Richard....... If you think of the bulkheads as roughly a triangular shape then  I cut away along the base. The base is completely hidden buy the parts of the wheel bay which are built into the wing.  You can only see the apex or point of the triangular bulkhead when you look into the wheel bay opening. I hope that makes sense for you ....... I actually took away quite a bit ; I think almost up to 1cm.  

With the rear bulkhead I sanded and cut away much less( more in terms of mm. ) I really wanted to take care of any fit interference with the wings. 

Roger...... the spots were made by gently flicking diluted oils ( Different earth tones of black , browns and sands ) onto the parts. Its an armour modeller tecnique and something I picked up by sitting in on a Michael Rinaldi workshop at the Monson Model  Show in Hungary .

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PeterOlsen

Excellent work on the nightfighter.  Along with the others, I also have this one in my stash so I'm following yours with interest.  Your depiction of use and wear on the interior is exemplary.  That is something I really need to work on!

G'day everyone,  ...ok to back track  just a little.... as I mentioned, I wasn`t happy with my weathering job on some of the internal wheel bay parts as they just looked over cooked, even to me and I like em' mean and dirty looking :) I wanted to add a bit of scratch build detail anyway so I thought I'd do that first and then tone the weathering afterwards. As it turned out, the added details help hide a lot of the murk I wasn't pleased with so it kind of worked out in the end. I really didn't want to do another repaint and weather job anyway.

I have the 1:32 Aires cockpit/wheel bay detail set for the Trumpeter kit so I basically used the resin details as a guide to help make my own. I used fine cooper wire and solder to simulate the electric wiring and bits of resin stubs and some kit robbed parts for the little boxes.  I think it beefed up the detail nicely in this area. 

You can see what I did in the pics below. I wish I had taken photos of these details before I installed them into the fuselage but I had so many issues with fit of the kit parts that half of me felt like shelving the entire project and I stopped taking photos. Below are the only pics I have of them and unfortunately they're before the details were painted.

ticGXo3.jpg

You can see what I mean about the overdone weathering on the  upper walls. It kind of reminds me of my sons diapers.........urrrrrrr. Ah well, you cant hardly smell it, .....ah I mean see it once its all closed in.  You can also see some of the kit parts in this shot too.

IstbpBc.jpg

Edited by PeterOlsen