1/32 black boxes of sixties planes?

thierry laurent

Hi,

Many planes, typically US ones, saw a noticeable increase of the avionics, radio and navigation boxes at the end of the fifties. There could be a lot of them in some planes. Some companies such as Collins sold tons of them to users such as the USAF. I mentioned the AC-47 in another thread (at least 15 boxes!) but this also applies to the other military planes of the transistor and analog systems era. They are not visible in most planes but are in multi-seat ones or if you open some hatches.

Here's coming the question: how to replicate many different boxes easily? Creating a traditional master is not realistic as most of the boxes have different dimensions. So, it is not a matter of replicating multiple copies of a single one. Moreover, scratchbuilding all of them will be time consuming as making perfecty rectangular boxes is not that easy and the exercise has to be repeated for each one. And considering the number of boxes I've to recreate for my HpH AC-47, this does not look to be a good idea.

This made me think to another option: 3D printing. Here I see two options:

1. Build a detailed scale copy in a Fusion-like software and print each box. Printing could be done quickly as they're quite small and all of them can be printed at the same time. However, the problem may be the resolution of the printer to get the small details. Moreover, drawing all the knobs, connectors, ventilation vents and other features will ask for quite a lot of time.

2. Build a basic scale copy of all of them without any feature. This means just printing "bricks"! All the features would be added later with punched knobs, plastic strips and so on, possibly on a thin polystyrene sheet.

Last, there is another parameter in the equation. I will very probably buy a 3D printer when my house extension will be made (hopefully next year as that damned COVID crisis delayed everything) but in the meanwhile, I've no place to put and use one. So, in the meanwhile, what would you recommend:

A. Commission somebody to print the basic "bricks" and do the rest myself with traditional modelling techniques?

B. Purchase Fusion, build the detailed boxes and send the file to somebody who can print with a correct resolution (but whom?)?

I do not consider the option to commission the full process as drawing the boxes details would be time-consuming and would result in a too expensive project. Option A seems currently the most realistic as I need a learning curve to work with such a software and without the possibility to test the printing part, there is the problem of impossibility to tweak the files. So, this could also result in overcosts.

Accordingly, option A seems to me the most reasonable option. However, I do not think that any commercial service is offering that possibility to print basic bricks in different dimensions!

What do you think? Do I miss another option?

Thanks for any insight.

Thierry

ANYZ models make tiny knobs and switches. 

I'd be inclined to use those with scratchbuilt little boxes which somebody could copy in resin. 

Airscale etc do dials and etch that's suitable, and copper wire can be used for the oftenfound black box carry handles.

There are also a bunch of etch sets that offer this kind of stuff, like the Eduard avionics bay dressing for the LTV A-7 SLUFs, as do those kits if you just close up an empty fuselage. 

Best of luck if you decide to design and print. Expensive investment, but gratifying.

Tony 

Well, I downloaded Fusion 360 but the program is so powerful that I'm somewhat lost in the interface and will have to look more seriously at tutorials. For the printing, a very kind LSP member proposed me to print them on his FormLabs 2 for free! So, I'm covered with that part.

Actually, I'm currently torn between the interest to have a look at that sofware and allocate the required time to design all the boxes and the fact this time will be more time in front of a keyboard and a screen rather than playing with plastic and resin!

So, even if I'm going to consider such CAD programs seriously (more particularly if I get a 3D printer when the house extension will be done), I'm hesitating for that specific project. At the same time, designing boxes is not the most difficult project!

I will have a look at TinkerCAD as well! Thanks for the hint!

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

No but I appreciate your reaction! LSP is really a great place!

I'm really waiting for the " F-4 black boxes"  you need to do to finish our project.....:whistle:

2 hours ago, onosendai said:

I'm really waiting for the " F-4 black boxes"  you need to do to finish our project.....:whistle:

For god's sake, you're right. Sorry for that. With that damned Covid crisis, I've completely forgotten that last step! I will solve that asap. This simply shows you're not the only ones having memory problems! :wacko:

Edited by thierry laurent

11 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

For god's sake, you're right. Sorry for that. With that damned Covid crisis, I've completely forgotten that last step! I will solve that asap. This simply shows you're not the only ones having memory problems! :wacko:

Excuse me, do I remember you from, Norwich, I think?

I am afraid I have never been to Norwich.

Do you know, neither have I!

It must have been two other fellows, then!

Edited by wunwinglow
tense...

3 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

Excuse me, do I remember you from, Norwich, I think?

I am afraid I have never been to Norwich.

Do you know, neither have I!

It must have been two other fellows, then!

:lol:

I've been to Norwich. B-24 country.  A nice city with a good air museum at Horsham St Faith.