1/32 Spitfire Contra-rotating prop & spinner ?

mkd1966

3 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

Will there be other parts added to the propellor and spinner  set? Such as cowlings, fuselage, canopy, wings, tail unit etc. Asking for a friend and hundreds of others.

I had purchased a Mk XIX conversion kit from Grey Matters that is used with a Revell or Hasegawa Mk I / II and it includes all pieces you mentioned... Thanks, Mike

I have purchased a number of GMF items aver the years, notably the Mk XII and Mk 22/24 correction sets as well as a 4 blade prop & spinner for my Mk VI. The nose castings take a lot of work to fit to the Hasegawa Mk V & VI kits and the props are always too short and the spinners are too short and are too small in dia. By too short on the blades I mean 2-3mm per blade. On my Mk XII I had to make new blades from Evergreen strip because the Griffon turns the opposite way to the Merlin and all of my 'spares' props are for engines that turn AC (looking from the front). I have used one of the GMF Mk XII noses to do a Seafire XV and had to make new props for that too. Admittedly the Seafire blades are different to the Mk XII. I also have the Freightdog set which I haven't started yet but I have ordered the Iconicair contra props because I don't want to have to make six new blades to make the thing look right. I have also ordered a late Griffon nose so it will be interesting to see how that fits. With the GMF  dimensional errors I don't know if it's poor research or resin shrinkage but they do call for a lot of work to make them look right if you are interested in Spitfires. I'm on the last lap with my Mk VI and hopefully will finish the Seafire XV soon and then on to the Mk 21, 22 and Seafire 47 and I will have my full set of Spitfires from MK 1 on. I don't like Spitfires, no, I love 'em, yeah.

TRF

13 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

Will there be other parts added to the propellor and spinner  set? Such as cowlings, fuselage, canopy, wings, tail unit etc. Asking for a friend and hundreds of others.

Yes we are working on those parts at the moment, the tail is available by request at the moment, the fit of parts we make are CAD drawn but are aided by a 3D scanner [ not using light ] where they need to fit existing kits. i.e. The Revell Spifire MK24 for instance they are just a swap of parts like for like no butchery necessary.

Graham

2 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Yes we are working on those parts at the moment, the tail is available by request at the moment, the fit of parts we make are CAD drawn but are aided by a 3D scanner [ not using light ] where they need to fit existing kits. i.e. The Revell Spifire MK24 for instance they are just a swap of parts like for like no butchery necessary.

Graham

Lovely!!!   Ive got the freight dog conversion, but as has been pointed out, its severely lacking in multiple spots. 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:34 AM, GrahamF said:

Graham

With the talk of Spitfire conversions I'm just curious - has anyone every done the 2 place dual control Spitfire conversion before - or has anyone heard any rumblings of something coming in the future ?  With so many different versions that you can convert to - I can't believe I haven't seen that one...

Mike

12 minutes ago, mkd1966 said:

With the talk of Spitfire conversions I'm just curious - has anyone every done the 2 place dual control Spitfire conversion before - or has anyone heard any rumblings of something coming in the future ?  With so many different versions that you can convert to - I can't believe I haven't seen that one...

Iains tacked a two seater.....although he definitely did it the hard way with no conversion help:

1 hour ago, mkd1966 said:

Mike

This?

On 6/13/2020 at 9:01 AM, GrahamF said:

Thanks Mike, I've got your order, I'll send out on Monday. You'll have to grind the tips flat as this bird carries a Shackleton prop set. [ and Shackleton Griffon I believe ]

Regards

Graham

Hey Graham,

The counter rotating prop arrived today and looks great !!! Thank you very much, Mike

On 6/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, GrahamF said:

Graham

Any chance of seeing Griffon conversion sets designed to fit the Tamiya kits?

10 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Any chance of seeing Griffon conversion sets designed to fit the Tamiya kits?

Yes they will be because we are working accurately and the tail from the Spiteful at frame 19 already fits that perfectly whereas the Revell fuselage is incorrect and requires filing that's why we don't offer it on the website. It remains to be seen whether many will want to cut up a £100 kit. 

Graham

15 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

Yes they will be because we are working accurately and the tail from the Spiteful at frame 19 already fits that perfectly whereas the Revell fuselage is incorrect and requires filing that's why we don't offer it on the website. It remains to be seen whether many will want to cut up a £100 kit. 

Graham

Already and waiting up in the loft, if and when you do, I hope you do an FR. Mk.18 rudder, which some late Mk.XIV's used.

4 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Graham

I would:)  As long as the parts fit the kit, I don't see an issue cutting up a £100 kit.  A Spitfire 22/24 conversion would require a new wing, and radiators and tail and nose, and that would be cost prohibitive I think, but a new Griffon nose, new tailfin and rudder(s) and radiators should not be too taxing.  The radiators would fit on the same footprint, the nose could fit to the existing break with a little filler for the fuel tank, so only the tail would require cutting, making a Mk.XIV well within reach.  The short span ailerons could be modified from the XVI kit or perhaps some resin pieces be included in the conversion.  Starting with the Mk. VIII kit for a high-back XIV, the ailerons would already be sorted.  Panel lines for the leading edge fuel tanks would need to be scribed on the XVI, and e-wing armament may need to be included as an alternative for the VIII basis.

Jens

Edited by jenshb