1/32 Spitfire Contra-rotating prop & spinner ?

mkd1966

5 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Thanks Mike, I've got your order, I'll send out on Monday. You'll have to grind the tips flat as this bird carries a Shackleton prop set. [ and Shackleton Griffon I believe ]

Regards

Graham

Awesome - thank you very much Sir...

7 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Thanks Mike, I've got your order, I'll send out on Monday. You'll have to grind the tips flat as this bird carries a Shackleton prop set. [ and Shackleton Griffon I believe ]

Regards

Graham

Hey Graham it's funny that you mentioned this was a Shackleton prop set and you also thought a Shackleton Griffin... Well I started digging through my old Air Classics magazine collection and found this Spitfire on the cover of the September 2002 edition... As I read the article it stated when looking for an engine / prop combo that was affordable and that they could use - the best price version to go with was a ex - Shackleton Griffin 58... Again thanks for your help and everyone's input... I'll do a "WIP" when I start it... Mike

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

That particular Spit XIX later got a five bladed prop and is now on the mend again after a take off incident several years ago.

Yes I seen the video of the take off incident... That was wild to watch happen...

Edited by mkd1966

1 hour ago, mkd1966 said:

Yes I seen the video of the take off incident... That was wild to watch happen...

I always think when I see accidents like this [ a similar one ocurred to the MK18 ]that a little bit of 'knowledge' has been lost with the passing of Jeffrey Quill and Alex Henshaw.

Graham

19 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

I remember that, it was an inexperienced pilot IIRC

I didn't realize it was the same airframe...

I believe your correct about an inexperienced pilot... When this happened - I followed posts on several of the warbird forums and a lot of the comments I read were basically - you never apply the power that fast on a griffon powered spitfire... BUT - at least the pilot walked away from it and the last I heard the airframe is being restored again...

4 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I remember that, it was an inexperienced pilot IIRC

I didn't realize it was the same airframe...

"Inexperienced" is not the most appropriate word I'd use for the pilot in question.

He was indeed inexperienced on the spitfire as it was his first flight with it. But he is a former French AF pilot, former Rafale solo display and flies several other warbirds (incl Sea Fury)

Good news is that the plane was scheduled to be back in action for the 2020 airshow season but due to covid situation, I guess it will rather be in 2021.

Edited by discus

6 hours ago, mkd1966 said:

I believe your correct about an inexperienced pilot... When this happened - I followed posts on several of the warbird forums and a lot of the comments I read were basically - you never apply the power that fast on a griffon powered spitfire... BUT - at least the pilot walked away from it and the last I heard the airframe is being restored again...

Reminds me about flying on the online Warbirds sim. When they first brought out the SpitXIV, many a sim pilot jumped in, slammed the throttle forward and applying right rudder (or left, a little fuzzy now, but to counteract the torque of a SpitIX's Merlin) and the opposite - torque of the Griffon would put them in an immediate ground loop. I guess the accuracy of the Warbird flight engine was about as good as they said it was.