RAF Bentwaters

D.B. Andrus

Surprised at least one of the Phantoms hasn't been acquired by somebody able to put a roof over it and fix it up.

[ redacted unfair comment]. That poor Hunter — do we cherish anything historic in this country any longer ?

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
edit and Q mark added

All museums require regular time to be spent on the exhibits, and most of all money

I was a volunteer on the aircraft side of one of my local museums and it took a lot of all of those things I've just mentioned.

These volunteers are unsung heroes who are trying their best with sometimes very limited resources to get things done.

My message is go visit and contribute something to these valuable places! 

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

Surprised at least one of the Phantoms hasn't been acquired by somebody able to put a roof over it and fix it up.

Too much amateurish permanently outdoor pseudo museum stuff in the land-of-uk. That poor Hunter — do we cherish anything historic in this country any longer.

Tony 

Dude, the UK has wonderful museums dotted all over the country, many of them free of charge or with a nominal fee. We don't lack for museums of all sorts, from ancient history to modern day, with aviation museums in particular well served. 

As has been said, volunteers play an enormous part in this, contributing both time & money. Sure, the UK weather doesn't help, and there's not a great deal of money to be made in the museum game, in fact none whatsoever. So instead of casually insulting those people who make the effort for our benefit, perhaps you should put your hand in your pocket and also offer your time, like so many others do.

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Apologies, no offence meant.

I realise these things take big cash and that there exist stunning museums like Hendon, Cosford, Duxford etc., but I found the pictures quite distressing. 

Bad hair day or something. 

Tony 

Aye, we are all having those at the moment. Have a Like

Richard

11 hours ago, Tony T said:

Too much amateurish permanently outdoor pseudo museum stuff in the land-of-uk. That poor Hunter — do we cherish anything historic in this country any longer.

Tony 

If only it were a museum aircraft, but its not. 

As a member of the Bentwaters Cold War Museum I need to put a few thing straight on this thread.

1. We are not a amateurish museum. We have been recognised by no less then the USAF Museum as doing sterling work to preserve the only A-10 in a private museum outside of the US, and recently received another airframe from them to restore an F-84

2. The Hunter he does not belong to our museum, or any other museum it belongs to a company hoping to sell it, so take your chance and buy it to restore it.

3. Not sure what permissions these guys had to enter the Airfield which is private property, but I know they would not have had permission from Evert Aero to photograph their assets or indeed as in one of the pictures climb on them. This is a major problem with these so called "urban explorers" 

4. Yes the phantoms have been taken away to be restored, or in the case of one aquired by another mainly out door museum, again I can assure you they are not amateurish either.

Again I would stress NONE of what you see here is part of the museum. Its all private property on private land.  The "urban explorers" are a bit of a pain as they encourage people do do the same. There have been instances of damage and thefts. We had to move our phantom because of this. We even caught one group lifting a motorcycle onto the wing for a photo shoot.

Edited by Julien D

As well as possibly comitting the offence of trespass (or not), the urbex guys make a mistake that really pains me:

A hanger is for putting clothes on.

What you put aeroplanes in is a hangar.

Oh, and Hi Julien, good to see you over here, :post1:

Edited by MikeC

13 hours ago, Julien D said:

If only it were a museum aircraft, but its not. 

As a member of the Bentwaters Cold War Museum I need to put a few thing straight on this thread.

1. We are not a amateurish museum. We have been recognised by no less then the USAF Museum as doing sterling work to preserve the only A-10 in a private museum outside of the US, and recently received another airframe from them to restore an F-84

2. The Hunter he does not belong to our museum, or any other museum it belongs to a company hoping to sell it, so take your chance and buy it to restore it.

3. Not sure what permissions these guys had to enter the Airfield which is private property, but I know they would not have had permission from Evert Aero to photograph their assets or indeed as in one of the pictures climb on them. This is a major problem with these so called "urban explorers" 

4. Yes the phantoms have been taken away to be restored, or in the case of one aquired by another mainly out door museum, again I can assure you they are not amateurish either.

Again I would stress NONE of what you see here is part of the museum. Its all private property on private land.  The "urban explorers" are a bit of a pain as they encourage people do do the same. There have been instances of damage and thefts. We had to move our phantom because of this. We even caught one group lifting a motorcycle onto the wing for a photo shoot.

Again, apologies for using the term amateurish — the set of pictures on the OP's thread left me with the feeling of a gutted fish.

Unfortunately, as many people have quoted my post it has become impossible for me to redact any unfair comment. 

The Lightning and Jaguar look SUPER!

Tony