Italeri Tornado GR.4 sprue pics

Dave Williams

I have used this technique.  I used various type of straight edges while scribing in the trough.  The plastic needs to be thick enough. Do not use the trough directly as the guide. The Bare Metal or the yellow handle Tamiya scriber works.  Some folks will use a sharp sewing needle in a pin vice.  I believe the dry point is the term for scratching tool; the needle.  The scribers mentioned cuts a V or U groove. 

I believe that is what he means as you describe Dave. I started a bit and it seems to work. Again, I am dreading the task but what this shows is that it can be done. The softness of the panelling disappears and a more realistic 'sharper'  look appears. Also recommended: wet sanding and a facemask (although we are probably used to those by now :)).

T

• 1 month later...

first impression looking at the sprues.

Many pieces that contain the parts to make different version.

But, if you are looking for the typical weapons of a RAF's GR.4:

• No TIALD or Litening laser pod
  • No double-launcher rails for the inboard wing pylons
  • No BOL launchers rails
  • NO Brimestone missiles
  • NO standard fuel tanks
  • NO Alarm missiles

Instead we have these parts for weapons that are not needed for a RAF's GR.4:

• 2 x 1000kg JDAM
  • 2 x HARM missiles
  • 2 x German ECM Pod
  • 2 x AIM-9X (???!!!)
  • 2 x AIM-120C (???!!!)

Ok, they are not completely wrong, but they could do definitely better.

Last for the moment, the drawing on the box is a RAF's GR.4 during the Operation TELIC over Iraq in the 2003. 

This Gr.4 is carrying 4 Paveway IV... but this weapons start the service with the RAF not before the 2008...

CIAO!

Piero

For those that don’t want to go to Facebook.

https://www.italeri.com/en/article/779

Agree the weapons are old.  Likely aftermarket will fix that, but that’s just more cost on an already expensive kit.  The flaps are still showing some pretty serious sink marks.  Hope that gets fixed in the production kits.

Edited by Dave Williams

I would like to make a few predictions about how the kit's price will be "modified" over time... (these are all made in the assumption that kit is made in large numbers and is still available in 2 or 3 years from now - if they produce them in fairly limited numbers and then cease production in 18 months from now, then all bets are off). 

Release - £140.00 (Hannant's price, before any pre-order reduction - which brings it down to £126.00). 

12 months from now (when all the Tonka enthusiasts have increased their stash to their heart's desire and dealers are buying them at much less than the current, wholesale price due to "slower" demand) - between £90.00 to £110.00.

2 years from now - "The Going Rate" £80.00 (probably a bit cheaper under the tables at model-shows... remember those?). 

Re-boxed by Revell (possible, but who knows? Although this would really kill off the market for their current Tornado moulds) - about £80.00. 

When I find a part-started one on E-Bay (depending on the "butchery level") - £50.00 to £70.00 (?). 

Obviously, I don't have a functional crystal-ball, so all these prices are just "semi-educated" guesses on my part.

What think yee, good folk of LSP?

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Correcting a typo.

Unless you get the kit on a special sale, the retail price isn’t going to drop.  Whatever price a shop sells for, whether it’s MSRP or some fixed discount that a particular shop charges, won’t change because the price they pay from distributors won’t change (unless the kit is a stinker and then just gets dumped to clear out inventory).  Who knows whether Revell will rebox it like they did with the Mirage III since they have their own not-so-old tool Tornado kits.  You can say yes, but Revell also had their own Mirage III kit, but that was a very old kit, and even with its faults, the Italeri kit was a big step up from the ancient Revell kit.  The jump doesn’t appear as big with the Tornado kits.  For the rest of the scenarios, I’d look at the Italeri 104 kits.  They are still pumping them out and I don’t see the prices on them dropping drastically.

I mentioned the isseus with the weapons over on Britmodeller , and while it it disappointing , I have a feeling that this kit might finally provoke Eduard and others to start producing RAF specific weapons in much the same way they've done for the 1/48th scale models , 

Well I can hope can't I 

PS Interesting isn't it that an F3 wouldn't be too much of a stretch  - at least that's what I'm telling myself

I hope you're right Scotsman, i do not know much about the Tornado except that i like it. I'll wait for the F3 my favorite, then I'll buy. Otherwise i allready have 2 Revell kits, as i want to build the sharktooth & one of the pinups the older kits are probably a better option. I'm not sure, i could be wrong. 

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Unless you get the kit on a special sale, the retail price isn’t going to drop.  Whatever price a shop sells for, whether it’s MSRP or some fixed discount that a particular shop charges, won’t change because the price they pay from distributors won’t change (unless the kit is a stinker and then just gets dumped to clear out inventory).  Who knows whether Revell will rebox it like they did with the Mirage III since they have their own not-so-old tool Tornado kits.  You can say yes, but Revell also had their own Mirage III kit, but that was a very old kit, and even with its faults, the Italeri kit was a big step up from the ancient Revell kit.  The jump doesn’t appear as big with the Tornado kits.  For the rest of the scenarios, I’d look at the Italeri 104 kits.  They are still pumping them out and I don’t see the prices on them dropping drastically.

Well, I wasn't really referring to model-shops, per se (they are becoming a very rare breed in the UK). In addition to shops, we have a small but busy community of independent business-men who sell kits in the UK (I would hazard a guess you have much the same situation in the US). I must admit that I haven't bought a brand-new kit from a model-shop in a long time.

The business-men will often sell kits with very little concern for what the "list-price" might be. Also, they often buy from sources other than the manufacturer and can pass the savings on to their customers. I think the short version is, nowadays there are MANY other sources to satisfy our plastic-cravings than the traditional model-shop. I can fully understand that some will have great regret about the demise of model-shops (myself included), but that is now the way of the world. I really don't see it changing, unfortunately.

Chris.   

1 minute ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Well, I wasn't really referring to model-shops, per se (they are becoming a very rare breed in the UK). In addition to shops, we have a small but busy community of independent business-men who sell kits in the UK (I would hazard a guess you have much the same situation in the US). I must admit that I haven't bought a brand-new kit from a model-shop in a long time.

The business-men will often sell kits with very little concern for what the "list-price" might be. Also, they often buy from sources other than the manufacturer and can pass the savings on to their customers. I think the short version is, nowadays there are MANY other sources to satisfy our plastic-cravings than the traditional model-shop. I can fully understand that some will have great regret about the demise of model-shops (myself included), but that is now the way of the world. I really don't see it changing, unfortunately.

Chris.   

We really don’t have anything like that in the US.  The “independent-businessmen” here usually deal in old or used kits that they get from sources like estate sales or individuals selling their collections.

I was afraid of that typical jack of all trades approach... The Tornado will soon be fifty years old and has been used by various countries, notwithstanding the various functions. So, covering all possible warloads would have simply filled the box! Accordingly, I hoped we would get dedicated boxings with relevant weapon configurations as Revell more or less did (Reco, SEAD, antiship, LGB bomber, etc.). Alas it seems they missed that opportunity.